Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default Kyaking Juneau - Independent Tour

I have been reading that the same excursions offered onboard can be found just off the ships at the welcome centers for a fraction of the price.
We are interested in kyaking in Juneau. Does anyone have any recent experience with this type of tour? Pricing, tour details?
We often book excursions on our own, but prior to actually sailing. I'd hate to book nothing through Celebrity and then get off the ship and be unable to find anything either.

Many THanks!
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Kyaking Juneau - Independent Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze Lover
I have been reading that the same excursions offered onboard can be found just off the ships at the welcome centers for a fraction of the price.
We are interested in kyaking in Juneau. Does anyone have any recent experience with this type of tour? Pricing, tour details?
We often book excursions on our own, but prior to actually sailing. I'd hate to book nothing through Celebrity and then get off the ship and be unable to find anything either.

Many THanks!
Any tour with limited capacity (everything except the bus type tours and everything that involves a boat, plane, bicycle, raft or helicopter) is fairly likely to be booked in advance. If you've got many choices so that getting your first (second, third, fourth, etc.) choice isn't a priority, the dock tour booths are an okay way to go.

There's also the issue of "wasted time"... what if you get off the ship at 9:00 am, and find a kayak tour that needs a few more guests to run, so you wait until 10 or 11 to find out if you'll even have a tour... then maybe it won't depart until noon or 1:00.... If you had booked in advance, you could have had the 9:00 or 10:00 trip.

Now, having said all of that, there are a FEW businesses (I can think of one fishing/wildlife viewing charter) that are moving down to the docks right now, looking for last-minute "walk-on" business. Look around at the tendering floats to see if anyone is selling tours outside of the sales booths - just be sure you're dealing directly with the tour operator and not with a broker.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case