Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Fishing Question for Case

What kind of fish should we expect to catch in Ketchikan the middle to end of Sept..Will the fishing be good??and can you recommend a particular Charter?/I think we will be there on Sept 22..

Thanks,
Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Fishing Question for Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyW
What kind of fish should we expect to catch in Ketchikan the middle to end of Sept..Will the fishing be good??and can you recommend a particular Charter?/I think we will be there on Sept 22..

Thanks,
Kelly
HI Kelly!

I can't recommend a particular charter, as the last few times I've been in Ketchikan we've done our own fishing from the Can Can. My advice would be to call or eMail several that catch your interest, and see what they've got to say. Be sure you're talking to the operator of a specific boat, and not a broker or fleet manager. Know whether you're getting a private charter or a shared tour (shared tour = shared catching, shared fish and other folks you don't know.) I would ask about what the tour includes (all will be about the same) and look the specific vessel you'll be on up at the US Coast Guard's 5-Star Safety Program website (http://www.mxak.org/fivestar/5star.htm) to see how they're listed.

As for what to expect, if you're on a longer charter (3/4 or full-day) there should be plenty of halibut and rock-fish available. Salmon runs vary a bit depending where you are - In Juneau, we've got a wonderful late summer coho run that usually lasts well into October. Ketchikan is farther south, and may not have the later runs. Again, however, this is a question for your boat captain who will know the area and run-timings like they were a family member's birthday! ;-)

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the info!..Hubby wants halibut I want salmon..

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain