Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Default Mendenhall Glacier - is it cold on the walking trails ?

I will be in Juneau on Mon, 28-July and am planning to do the walking trails on the Mendenhall Glacier ... will it be any colder than in the town (since nearer to the Glacier and Ice)
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Mendenhall Glacier - is it cold on the walking trails ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKanji
I will be in Juneau on Mon, 28-July and am planning to do the walking trails on the Mendenhall Glacier ... will it be any colder than in the town (since nearer to the Glacier and Ice)
If you are referring to the trails at the visitor's center and walking back to the glacier then it will be a "bit" cooler. I suggest that you wear clothing that you can remove and add, such as a hooded sweatshirt or wear a backpack that you can put your jacket in.

You will not be able to walk "on" the glacier unless you are with a guide and if you do it will definitely be cooler and will require warm gear. Walking on the glacier by yourself is EXTREMELY dangerous.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mendenhall Glacier - is it cold on the walking trails ?

Just layer and take a small daypack to unlayer as necessary. Possible temps run from the 60's to the 80's, misty to sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKanji
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Right now the temps at my house are about 3 degrees cooler than the rest of town, and there may be a 5 degree over-all difference at the visitor center. In the winter time, that difference will range 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the rest of town, but most of the cooling has to do with wind chill rather than actual temperature differences. Your wind-breaker should do fine, as long as you're dry...

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case