Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Beginner

Default cabin choice??

I am going NB Vancouver to Whittier. I am trying to decide on a cabin. Which side is best? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Xtex,
I think as long as you do have a balcony, it doesn't matter that much. I'm sure you'll still want to get out on deck and you can view both sides. The scenery is truly amazing and you'll find yourself out most of the time, having a balcony is wonderful for Alaska.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

They say Port side is best for the Glacier viewings...You may want to try and get a cabin that faces Aft..You will have an excellent view of both sides..

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Passenger

INHO...portside going south and starboard going north, as you are, but agree that you will not spend that much time viewing from your room...unless you brought some good vino on board with you!
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had a starboard balcony which put us on the dock side of the ports.
(Northbound Princess) We liked the dock side for we could see parts of the town, and the docking procedure. In Skagway we saw the writtings on the rocks of the cliff of many people that came before.some dating back to the 1800's Very interesting.

As far as which side; when you get into Glacier Bay and College Fjord the Ships Captain slowly spins the ship doing a 180 degrees so that all passengers get to see both sides of the inlet and glaciers.

A balcony is a must for Alaska, IMO

Have a grate cruise!!
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: cabin choice??

xtex4,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am going NB Vancouver to Whittier. I am trying to decide on a cabin. Which side is best? Thanks
Some of these folks seem to be much more picky than I am. I'll take any cabin at all, so long as it's aboard the ship rather than on the beach....

Seriously, I would not worry about the location of the cabin. There are plenty of open decks and lounges with big windows where you can look at glaciers and wildlife on both sides of the ship. In fact, the promenades on both sides of the ship -- which are below all of the cabin the balconies -- are the best places to watch marine life from aboard the ship because they are the closest to the water.

Norm.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Captain

I would say however that if you're going into Glacier bay, the narration is done as you're entering. All of the main sites are on the port side as you enter the bay and head to Margerie glacier. So you can sit on your balcony and turn up the volume on the speaker in the cabin and you'll hear the narration as you view the sites. So as far as the amount of scenery you see is the same whether port or starboard.....I feel Port is better for narration. I had trouble understanding the narrations while on deck.