Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Juneau excursion question - two of them??

We will be in Juneau from 7 a.m until 11 pm! We would have time to do two excursions, right? I'm thinking of going for gold and doing the helitrek (2 hr glacier hike) and then turning around and doing the Taste of Juneau excursion. Whats your opnion? Last time we were in Juneau we were on the whale watching I believe and were gone for most of the day (didn't have but maybe 8-9 hrs there). I don't remember - can you just walk around like in ketchicans? I want to get the most out of these ports since it will be YEARS if ever before I return. any suggestions on this port or the others are welcomed! Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Depending on the excursion schedules, you may be able to fit two in.

Yes, you can walk around town in Ketchikan, its actually one of my favorite Alaska ports to walk around.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Captain

Yes, you can walk around Juneau as you can in Ketchikan. It's much hillier however once you leave the main shopping area.
You might want to think about renting a car since you have so much time there. If you cross the bridge to Douglas island and turn left, you'll get to a trailhead that'll take you through the forest to the old abandoned gold mine. And there are also openings to the beach. If you turn right after crossing the bridge you can go to the other side of the island and find trailheads with winding boardwalk trails through the forest also to the beach. Just spectacular.
Also it's an easy drive to Mendenhall glacer and later if you pass the airport and keep going there's great scenery and a really cool old church on a peninsula there....I think it's called St. Theresas.
Other than Mendendhall we ran in to no official tour groups and had a great time exploring on our own.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Oh how I wish!! My husband would never rent a car - he is to scared something will happen and we will be left behind! That sounds totally awesome however!! Should we do the two excursions - or just walk around (he won't rent a car..sniff sniff).
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since you will be in Juneau early enough I would consider a day trip through Tracy Arm on a small boat..You would leave at about 8 or 9 am and get back about 5pm..It was an awesome experience..The small boat takes you with in Rock throwing distance of the Sawyer Glacier..You would be back in town early enough to walk and explore..

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Captain

We didn't do the 2 excursions you mention so I can't comment on those. Walking around town and window shopping is easy. Also if the weather's clear you can go up the tram to Mt Roberts. Spectacular views.
You don't mention if on your previous trip you went to Mendenhall Glacier. That's a must too imho....inexpensive busses leave from the docks.
KellyW's suggestion is good too. I've heard that's a great trip although we didn't have the time.

FYI, after leaving the abandoned gold mine and cutting through the trees to the beach.....you can see the ships. It's that close.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Juneau excursion question - two of them??

cherylroy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We will be in Juneau from 7 a.m until 11 pm! We would have time to do two excursions, right? I'm thinking of going for gold and doing the helitrek (2 hr glacier hike) and then turning around and doing the Taste of Juneau excursion. Whats your opnion? Last time we were in Juneau we were on the whale watching I believe and were gone for most of the day (didn't have but maybe 8-9 hrs there). I don't remember - can you just walk around like in ketchicans? I want to get the most out of these ports since it will be YEARS if ever before I return. any suggestions on this port or the others are welcomed! Thanks!
If you are planning two or three excursions, just make sure that you have enough time (I recommend at least an hour) between them so you won't have a problem making the second excursion if the first excursion gets delayed. You probably also will want to bring souvenirs purchased on the first excursion to your cabin, and perhaps to grab lunch or a beverage aboard ship, before setting out on the second.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Well, we were going to do the trek first - just worried if it gets delayed because of weather. What happens if it overlaps the 2nd excursion. Would i get refunded for one excursion?
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admiral

With that port time, I would highly suggest you might want to consider the Tracy Arm tour, mentioned above. Just fantastic.

As for your "overlap" question, it is up to YOU to take into account tour times and scheduling. NO I would not expect any vendor to refund you if you did not do this. Are you looking at only ship excursion bookings?? These will schedule your tours properly and not allow bookings of overlapping tours. Independent?? It is your responsibility, always go with the vendor's recommendation for timing.

There is plenty you can see and do with all day in port, make the most of it, and certainly consider at least 2 "tours" if Tracy Arm is not an option.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Thank you. I will definitely check into Tracy Arm - but definitely want to do the glacier trek. I appreciate any advice that comes this way!! Thanks!
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Admiral

cherylroy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well, we were going to do the trek first - just worried if it gets delayed because of weather. What happens if it overlaps the 2nd excursion. Would i get refunded for one excursion?
There would be NO refund whatsoever. That's exactly why I suggested allowing plenty of time between the two excursions.

Norm.