Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska Opinions

Hello,

I just got back from my first cruise and loved it, and lucky for me my bf loved it too. He really wants our next cruise to be in Alaska, so I am willing to oblige him so I can then get my European cruise. I am in my late twenties and he is in his early thirties. We are not super active but are up for moderate adventure, whale watching, and beautiful scenery. We have a bit of time until we can afford our next cruise, but I would like to start investigating the perfect Alaskan cruise now.

With all of that said I was hoping to get your opinions on your favorite cruise lines to see Alaska, favorite Alaskan ships, time of year, itineraries, must see excursions, and definitely miss excursions? Basically, what was or would be your perfect ideal Alaskan cruise?

I know I am asking a lot, so whatever bits of advice you care to share I would be really grateful. Thank you in advance.

Jamie
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Opinions

Jamie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello,

I just got back from my first cruise and loved it, and lucky for me my bf loved it too. He really wants our next cruise to be in Alaska, so I am willing to oblige him so I can then get my European cruise. I am in my late twenties and he is in his early thirties. We are not super active but are up for moderate adventure, whale watching, and beautiful scenery. We have a bit of time until we can afford our next cruise, but I would like to start investigating the perfect Alaskan cruise now.

With all of that said I was hoping to get your opinions on your favorite cruise lines to see Alaska, favorite Alaskan ships, time of year, itineraries, must see excursions, and definitely miss excursions? Basically, what was or would be your perfect ideal Alaskan cruise?

I know I am asking a lot, so whatever bits of advice you care to share I would be really grateful. Thank you in advance.
In Alaska, all of the major cruise lines offer minor variations of three basic itineraries: (1) Inside Passage (round trip from either Vancouver or Seattle), (2) Northbound Gulf of Alaska (Vancouver to either Seward or Whittier), and (3) Southbound Gulf of Alaska (either Seward or Whittier to Vancouver). Each of these itineraries typically calls at three of the four major ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Skagway) along the Inside Passage and spends at least one day visiting one or another of the major bays with glaciers (College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Glacier Bay) along with either a minor port of call or a second day of glaciers. The cruises that operate from Seattle always include a stop at a Canadian port (usually either Prince Rupert or Victoria) to comply with federal laws of the United States prohibiting cabotage. Fundamentally, I recommend either of the Gulf of Alaska itineraries because they afford you a chance to see some of the interior as well as the inside passage.

At the very least, plan to spend a few days in Anchorage either before or after your cruise -- the city's downtown is imminently walkable and quite safe, and there's a lot happening, especially on weekends, in the summertime. If you rent a car in Anchorage, you can easily do a day cruise to College Fjord from Whittier, a day trip to the Mount Alyeska Resort, and a day trip to Talkeetna where a scenic overlook offers spectacular views of Mount McKinley and the Latitude 62 Inn is a great place to stop for lunch. If you have more time, you can continue on to Denali National Park and Fairbanks. I don't recommend the cruise lines' land tour packages, as they tend to be expensive, but I do recommend making hotel reservations for the entire trip before you leave home because it may be a long way to a hotel with vacancy if you encounter "no vacancy" signs and you don't have a reservation. If you don't want to rent a car, the Alaska Railroad (follow link for more information) also links Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, and Fairbanks with spectacular views along the way.

Within each itinerary, the most significant differentiator is the ambiance and style of each cruise line. Thus, I recommend choosing a cruise line that's a good match for your personality and your tastes. If you were satisfied with the line on which you took your first cruise, stick with it. Otherwise, do your homework -- get a guide to cruise lines and cruise ships, read about the lines, and choose a line that seems to be a good match.

As to time of year, cruise ships arrive in Alaska in May and leave in September. Fares tend to be somewhat lower on the earlier and later cruises, partly because they fall when most schools are in session so families with children of school age are not free to go and partly because the weather tends to be somewhat cooler (probably 50's instead of 60's to 70's in some of the ports of call). Beyond that, many people like to time their trip to be in Fairbanks around the summer solstice, when there is constant twilight between sunset and sunrise, while others prefer July or early August when the weather is at its warmest. Thus, these weeks tend to command peak fares.

As to "must see" excursions, do have a few recommendations.

>> In Skagway, a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route (YP&YR), a narrow gauge railroad built during in 1897-1898 to haul miners, gear, and supplies into the Yukon Territory during the Yukon Gold Rush, heads the "must do" list because the scenery from the rail line is quite impressive. If you have time and everybody in your party is over 21 years of age, the "Ghosts and Goodtime Girls Walking Tour" and the show at the Eagles' Hall called the "Days of '98 Revue Starring Soapy Smith" are also very good takes.

>> In Ketchikan, the shore excursion to Saxman Village is very interesting. There, you'll get to see totem carvers at work and a nice show featuring Tlingit dance in an authentic clan house. The guide also explains several historically significant totems at the entrance to the area.

>> The segment of the Alaska Railroad between Seward and Anchorage also has very impressive scenery, which you can see either by purchasing the "Grandview Rail Transfer" rather than the motorcoach transfer through your cruise line or by taking a side trip from Anchorage to Seward on the Alaska Railroad.

You won't be wanting for things to do in any of the other ports of call, either. In fact, Alaska's major ports of call offer more shore excursions to more attractions than even the major ports of call in Europe!

Have a fabulous cruise!

Norm.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Passenger

Thank You Norm! That was a tremendous Help.
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Admiral

I suggest you head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska and Alaska by Cruiseship are especially good.

Determine HOW much time you have, it isn't recommended to do a one way, if short on time,and I highly recommend only doing it if you have two weeks so to tour the interior, taking advantage of being there.

The round trips can be excellent choices and certainly pack a lot into 7 days. So I don't agree that they are second rate, having gone on all the routes and been to all ports and glaciers except Prince Rupert, (which will be next June).

I suggest you consider making your choice on "Alaska", look at ports, glacier, route, price, then make the ship selection, rather than chooing a cruiseline first.
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Admiral

I'm a fan of driving to port and from your avatar you live in the LA area (did you feel the quake?) Any how I like Princess and they do a 10 day cruise from San Francisco if you drive a rental car down here drop it off and get one for the drive back there is no worry about parking (I have no idea about the cost). San Francisco parking is an arm and a leg.

We did whale watching in Icy Strait and had so good luck with that. In Ketchikan we did the crab feed it was tasty. Victoria was beautiful was saw Butchart Gardens my hubby left his wallet in a cab here. We were lucky the people are honest cause he got it and his money back. Here is the Ports of Call:
1 San Francisco, California --- 4:00 p.m.

2 At Sea --- ---

3 At Sea --- ---

4 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

5 Juneau, Alaska 8:00 a.m. 10:00 p.m.

6 Icy Strait, Alaska 7:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

7 Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 5:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m.

8 At Sea --- ---

9 Victoria, British Columbia 6:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.

10 At Sea --- ---

11 San Francisco, California 7:00 a.m. ---

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
I suggest you head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska and Alaska by Cruiseship are especially good.

I suggest you consider making your choice on "Alaska", look at ports, glacier, route, price, then make the ship selection, rather than chooing a cruiseline first.
Thank you for the book suggestions Karen and your advice. Doing your homework for cruises is part of the fun.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I'm a fan of driving to port and from your avatar you live in the LA area (did you feel the quake?) Any how I like Princess and they do a 10 day cruise from San Francisco if you drive a rental car down here drop it off and get one for the drive back there is no worry about parking (I have no idea about the cost). San Francisco parking is an arm and a leg.
My avatar pic is me driving a golf cart on catalina island but yes I do live in LA. I totally missed the quake, I was driving in to work and the radio DJ filled me in.

Thank you for your San Fran advice. I really like the no airfare idea. I wouldn't get to stay and explore after the cruise, but it is definitely something I will take into consideration.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Beginner

We can let you know what Alaska is like very soon

On Sep 17 we embark on an Inside Passage & Glacier Bay cruise on the Carnival Spirit. Leaving from and returning to Vancouver.

We have stops at Juneau (nothing planned but want to do the Mt Roberts Tramway and possibly Mendenhall Glacier). Skagway where we are doing the White Pass/Yukon Route Railway. And Ketchikan where we have booked a Misty Fjords Floatplane trip and a City Duck Tour.

Being first time cruisers we really really excited

Cheers
Col & Sue
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
We have stops at Juneau (nothing planned but want to do the Mt Roberts Tramway and possibly Mendenhall Glacier). Skagway where we are doing the White Pass/Yukon Route Railway. And Ketchikan where we have booked a Misty Fjords Floatplane trip and a City Duck Tour.
We've done one Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka, plus visiting one of the glacier bays. We tend to be non-excursioners. In Ketchikan we walked to a local outdoor museum, which we thought was not very good. We saw better totempoles and other Alaska stuff at the state park in Sitka. In Juneau, we quite by accident hiked to the top of the tram. The advantage of hiking to the top is that if you spend $5 on the top (we stopped for a beer and lunch) you get to ride the tram back down to the dock for free, as apposed to spending (I think) about $20 r/t for just taking the tram up and down. We had intended to take the $5 bus ride to the local glacier, but never made it. The local bus is much cheaper than taking the ship's excursion.

In Sitka, just walking around will allow you see many interesting buildings, the state park, and the numerous bald eagles that roost in the trees around the town.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeam
We can let you know what Alaska is like very soon

Being first time cruisers we really really excited
I can't wait to hear about it! Have an amazing cruise and don't forget to share your pictures too!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Thanks, we will

And yep there will be lotsa pics

Col
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Admiral

If you can work it out, IMHO I would sail round trip from Vancouver, B.C. Leave one day at each end of the cruise for a short time in Vancouver, and a day in Victoria. Try to do the Skagway gold rush tour into the Yukon territory. Its a great day. Most cruises do the inside passage and cruise in Glacier Bay. And-in Juneau don't miss the Red Dog Saloon !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Be aware that most cruises (not all) that leave Seattle travel on the west coast of Vancouver Island. This passage can be rougher depending on the weather. We leave on a 14 day from Van on Aug 22. Will have pictures and more info then

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Col and Sue,
I also leave on the 17th from Seattle on Star Princess, almost here.

Have a great time!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Dream Team - we did that same cruise in 2005 and it was AWESOME! We are doing southern this time -
Rev 22 - what an awesome review - thanks so much!
Jamie - its totally awesome no matter what you do or take! This next time we go (in 09) we are taking a glacier trek! EXPENSIVE - but will be awesome! Alaska cruise is NOT cheap! At least when I do it (I tend not to cut corners..not sure if thats good or bad).
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Default Just finished our FIRST cruise--ALASKA!!!!

We just got back from our FIRST cruise, we chose ALASKA. We sailed on way from Vancouver to Seward, Radiance of the Sea's, July 18th- 25th.

What a fantastic trip, but really COLD!!! very glad that I had ordered the silky long underwear from Cabela's, they saved me!!! very thin and light but kept me warm and sweat free.

Biggest suggestion, is take BACK PACKS!!! You can tuck raincoat and umbrella in them, because it rains at a drop of the hat.

We flew to Vancouver a day early and stayed at the BLUE HORIZON HOTEL, and it was just beautiful. It was a little pricey, but our room had it's own balcony and within walking distance of anything we wanted to do.

Our excursions were:

Juneau" Taku Lodge flight and feast, and this was TOP NOTCH, I would do this again in a heartbeat if we went back. You take a floatplane to the lodge, flying over several glaciers to get there, then they feed you a salmon lunch that is awesome. We watched bear from the lodge window ALL afternoon.....very CLOSE to the lodge. It was FANTASTIC.

Skagway-We did the Rail and Adventure, I am glad that we took the bus up and the train back down. I think the scenery is beautiful, but would say that once is enough. We saw several people that took the train both up and back down, they were falling asleep on the way back down.

Icy Straight Point-The longest and steepest zip line, do NOT be intimidated...this was the highlight of our trip, FANTASTIC and my husband video taped the scenery all the way down. Would do this a hundred times over if we could, and we are not people who like heights or rollercoaster, but I can tell you this is a fantastic ride!!!

We opted to stay in Seward at the end of the cruise, they have a few shops, really not a lot to do unless you charter a whale watch or fishing trip. We arranged for THE MAGIC BUS company to pick us up the following morning and give us a tour all the way to Anchorage. THEY ARE FANTASTIC, they sent a shuttle bus for the six of us, and the bus would fit eleven people, so we had tons of room. Our driver gave us several options to create our own trip, we stopped at Summit Lake Lodge, the wilderness refuge, and did some shopping in Anchorage ending with a fantastic dinner at the Glacierbrewhouse in Anchorage. I HIGHLY recommend the Magic bus co if you are looking to transport either to or from Anchorage or Seward!!!

Great Trip and ready to go back!
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just finished our FIRST cruise--ALASKA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameladu56
We sailed on way from Vancouver to Seward, Radiance of the Sea's, July 18th- 25th.

Great Trip and ready to go back!
Thanks for sharing your tips and your excursions! Any extra details you would like to share about the ship? What do you do on at sea days?

I have looked into the pricing of the Radiance for next year and the Sea Princess (which leaves from San Fran). Is Princess generally more expensive than other lines? I guess it would probably balance out cost when I add airfare to the Radiance...
Old August 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Beginner

Just got back from Princess Golden inside passage cruise. Highly recommend the glacier helicopter/dog sledding excursion in Skagway. Also we took an evening whale quest in Juneau that was great, as was the river raft wildlife excursion in Skagway (bald eagle preserve). Can't imagine cruising Alaska and not doing excursions as they were the highlight of the trip. This was only our 2nd cruise, our other one being 13 years ago on RCL- Western Caribbean. Since it was so long ago it's hard to compare, but we preferred the food and entertainment on RCL over Princess. Our excursions in Alaska were all booked thru Princess, and they couldn't have been better.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Wow thanks!! We plan on doing the dog sled. How much did it run you per person?
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Beginner

About $500 per person for the dog sled/glacier tour. Pricey, but so worth it. Our feeling is if we are going to do Alaska, then DO Alaska. Make sure you do it on the glacier. There is also a summer musher camp that is on wheels on grass. I can't imagine that being nearly as good. The glacier helicopter tour was incredible.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Admiral

We are doing it - and also doing the Juneau treck - which is another 1000.00 for the both of us. You are right.........don't know when we will be back and will make the most of it! Any other suggestions? We go may 09
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
First Mate

Everyone has such good suggestions. We're a bit older, so HAL is a good fit for us.

DH does not fly, and we live in San Diego, so we took a repositioning cruise from SD to Vancouver, then Inside Passage back to Vancouver.
We had to Amtrak it home (not my favorite).

Next time, we are looking into the San Fran. Princess itinerary that Katlady mentioned. If that doesn't work out, there are several lines with repo cruises from SD or LA.

We chose the May departure, but there's also the Sept. repo's. There are quite a few options. You can even switch up the cruise lines in Vancouver and Seattle.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyredhat
Everyone has such good suggestions. We're a bit older, so HAL is a good fit for us.

DH does not fly, and we live in San Diego, so we took a repositioning cruise from SD to Vancouver, then Inside Passage back to Vancouver.
We had to Amtrak it home (not my favorite).

Next time, we are looking into the San Fran. Princess itinerary that Katlady mentioned. If that doesn't work out, there are several lines with repo cruises from SD or LA.

We chose the May departure, but there's also the Sept. repo's. There are quite a few options. You can even switch up the cruise lines in Vancouver and Seattle.

Pat
Hi Pat:

Our favorite time to cruise Alaska is in early May. The prices are lower and the mountains still have a lot of snow on them. If you can try and book a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay and College Fjord, as in my opinion they are two fantastic days of glacier viewing.

One word of caution if you are thinking about a repositioning cruise is that due to some obscure law passengers can not continue on a repositioning cruise from the lower 48 to Alasks. Passengers are not even allowed to disembark and then re-embark at the beginning of the regularly scheduled cruise to Alaska. Check with you cruise line to be sure that the cruise you select is not a repositioning cruise to Alaska. There was a cruise two years ago that we wanted to take the repositioning cruise from California and then continue on from Vancouver but were not allowed to book both cruises.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
First Mate

Wow Debra~~Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Last time we took the Pac. Coast cruise from SD to Vancouver. Then we had to get off the ship, go thru" Canadian customs, and get back on the same ship.

That did have problems as they didn't have us on the manifest to depart in Van. Then we did the Inside Passage RT Van.

That cruise was the only one where I didn't have a TA.

Boy did I learn my lesson !

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x