Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Tracy Arm tour

A few post back when we were debating on doing 2 excursions in Juneau someone mentined taking a tracy arm tour. I don't see this on the list of Carnival excursions. What do you suggest? Am I missing an excursion or what? Thanks
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

The main operator of Tracy Arm tours is Adventure Bound Alaska ( http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/ ). We went out with them and it was a wonderful experience (timing could well be a problem for you, though - it's a long tour). I've posted a photojournal from the tour, at http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/tracy_arm.html

Murray
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Was this in Juneau? Was it an excursion or you went on your own?
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Yes, it is out of Juneau. You ideally need a port time of at least 7am-7pm. They occasionly do run a 9am tour.
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did that tour last year and it was awesome...Because you are sailing on Carnival Your port time will give you enough time to enjoy this tour..Where you catch to boat is an easy walk from the ship just past the small shopping mall..

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sailing on Carnival, a Tracy Arm excursion will need to be booked directly with the vendor. There are actually THREE major Tracy Arm excursion operators. If the time schedule doesn't work out for Adventure Bound (or if you don't want a larger boat tour) try Alaskan Marine Adventures or Harv & Marv's... the latter two are both more expensive, but include very nice lunches/snacks and are limited to 6 guests per tour.

I was just in Tracy Arm 5 times last week... spectacular views and great fun... there just aren't words or photos to fully describe the experience!

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Admiral

oh gosh - I'm so chicken to do an outside excursion! I've always done carnival. We were going to do the glacier trek in juneau. Is this tour offered in any other port?
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tracy Arm is not offered in any other ports... at least until Hobart Bay opens to cruise traffic in a few seasons. The glacier trek MAY be offered in Skagway, but I have my doubts. Skagway is the only other port connected closely to the ice field, so all of your Inside Passage glacier and ice related excursions will be out of Juneau or Skagway (unless you're on a very small cruise that stops in Petersburg or Wrangell.)

What's the fear of independent excursions in a US port? Excursion providers in Alaska live and die by the cruise schedules. They know their tour times, how long it takes to get around in their towns, etc. A vendor who missed even one cruise ship for one guest would have a very difficult time staying in business. (Did you know if a vendor wishes to have Princess or Carnival PLC guests on their tour they're required to have insurance policies in place at least 5 times in excess of State and legal minimums? - in my business at least 10 to 15% of our annual earnings are spent on licenses, permits, insurance and bonds.)

-Case
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Case, this is true. I actually would be fine doing an excursion with an outside vender ONLY in alaska - however I still want to do the glacier trek. I think this would be really REALLY neat. Now, I have to decide between the two -------- such decisions!
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Case, this is true. I actually would be fine doing an excursion with an outside vender ONLY in alaska - however I still want to do the glacier trek. I think this would be really REALLY neat. Now, I have to decide between the two -------- such decisions!
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Admiral

On the Inside Passage, glacier trekking is only available out of Juneau, with Northstar the stand out over the ship contractor. There is heli hiking out of Skagway http://www.temscoair.com/tours/skagway_helihiking.htm
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

HELP!!!! We were really looking forward to doing this tour and when I called today to make reservations for the 4 of us, they said that their last Tracy Arm fjord trip was on September 25. Of course, we have to be different. We are going to be on the Celebrity Millenium and it is going to be in Juneau on Sept. 26. We strongly prefer doing activities on our own, not part of the masses from the ship. Are there any private charter companies in the area that might be available? Any suggestions for something similar, even going to a different area? We just liked the looks of this particular trip because it combined whale/sea mammal watching, wildlife viewing, glaciers up close and personal from the water and it had a much smaller passenger count. This was going to be our BIG excursion of the trip. (My hubby and I have actually been to Alaska before. My uncle lived on Kodiak much of his adult life and we got to spend some time with him.)
Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Pattizoo, there are a few independents who can take you on a Tracy Arm tour. One of them, CanCanCase, posted earlier in this thread, and gets good reviews - pop him a note.

Murray
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just cruised through Tracy Arm last week and while it wasn't a major glacier viewing, still something to see, we had the second best day this year there, so I couldn't complain, truly amazing to see, what a view.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I just cruised through Tracy Arm last week and while it wasn't a major glacier viewing, still something to see, we had the second best day this year there, so I couldn't complain, truly amazing to see, what a view.
Did you get all the way up to the glaciers??

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
...we had the second best day this year there...
Hi Donna!

Second best day? As in for the boat you were on, or best in that you got the farthest? I'm confused...

-Case
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sorry for the confusion, yes, we got as far as the ship, (Star Princess) would fit. There was only one other day this year that they were able to get as close, so we felt very fortunate. The naturalist (Trevor) was so excited, made us all very happy, what a view. So, you never know with Alaska weather. The day we were in Juneau it hit 76, naturally we were taking of layer apon layer as the day progressed.

Message Boards Moderator