Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Default Star Princess-is this a good deal?

My SIL sent this out to family, her company has gotten a good rate supposedly but not sure this is the best deal. Can you please comment? I have never been on an Alaska Cruise but want to go. We had a Cruise booked this year for the NCL Pearl but had to cancel since I got pregnant and cruise was 3 weeks before my due date.

Alaka Cruise July 5th-12th seattle, Ketchican, tracy Arm, Jujneau, skagway, Victoria, Seattle

Total cost Inside cabin Category J $1577.00 per person per person, based
on availability and include cruise fare,roundtrip air from Phoenix, transfers,port charges, taxes, and fuelsurcharges. also includes $50 onboard credit per cabin.

Is this a good deal for 2 adults and 2 kids for 1 cabin (a baby and a preschooler). I'm a little nervous about using their air since we do not know the schedule or airline. Would be be better off booking with another line, and airfare seperately? I really wanted to try NCL Pearl buthavent looked at their pricing recently.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Hey I made an excel spreadsheet just for this reason. It has space to compare three different cruise and has all the extra expense I could think of like tips and so on. Is there a discount on the 3rd and 4th person staying in the cabin? I'm going to run it through the spreadsheet and compare it to an NCL cruise. Are you booking air seperate from the cruise? Or is air part of the deal?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Admiral

I run it through the spreadsheet using Travelocity for the information. NCL Pearl 7/5/09 and Princess Star 7/5/09, 7 day from Seattle, cabin cat J. I included shuttle ($90), cruise air, tax, and fuel surcharge. I show per person on NCL is $1,802.23 and Star is $1,652.11 based on this it's a good deal.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Beginner

The additional cost for our young kids to go is just too much to make this worthwhile. I didn't realize that even a 1 yr old baby pays almost full price for this. So the above is a really good deal for 2 adults. I called Princess directly and they quoted 1232.00 PP including all taxes, but not transfers or airfare and the above includes transfers and airfare. It just doesn't make much sense to spend an additional 1800.00 to bring our 4 y old and 1 yr old on a cruise.
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocgirl
The additional cost for our young kids to go is just too much to make this worthwhile. I didn't realize that even a 1 yr old baby pays almost full price for this. So the above is a really good deal for 2 adults. I called Princess directly and they quoted 1232.00 PP including all taxes, but not transfers or airfare and the above includes transfers and airfare. It just doesn't make much sense to spend an additional 1800.00 to bring our 4 y old and 1 yr old on a cruise.
If you have someone you trust to watch the kids it would be a nice get-away for you and the hubby. I cruised Star Princess in 2003 it's a nice ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Beginner

This is just not going to happen. I forgot that me and my husband are going to an all expenses paid trip to Mexico in May 2009 for my husbands presidents club trip he won through his job in 2008. I couldn't go because it was right on my due date so he deferred it. We already will need to ask my parents to watch the 2 kids during that time so I think a cruise for that summer is out.

Oh well, we will definitely go when the kids are older and they can enjoy it more. I had to idea small kids paid that much to accompany their parents on a cruise. Silly me
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Admiral

As a general response, in Seattle, there isn't any advantage to cruiseair, unless it is cheap, which usually it's not. So consider pricing out air separately and add the $35+++ cab fare both ways to the airport. I strongly suggest people plan on getting there at least a day early, which cruiseair does not. Some, have the idea that this "guarantees" they will get on their ship. For clairfication, the cruiselines are booking agents only and have nothing to do with the airline operation. Seattle has plenty to see and do anyway to occupy your time.

Keep track of pricing trends yourself, and if you see a drop, immediately contact your booking agent for an adjustment- before final payment. Pay at the last minute, many times, the book agent final payment dates are NOT the cruiseline dates.