Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Default hubbard, glacier bay and tracy arm

Is there really a big difference between these glaciers? I hear I should only go on the cruise that includes glacier bay. Is that true? Thanks
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've only been to Hubbard, which was totally amazing. Just went into Tracy Arm this year and while it was beautiful, the glacier is just too far away, where going to Hubbard is huge and a big open space for ships to get into. I'd look for that one over Tracy Arm.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your help Donna. I really appreciate any help I can get. This is a lot more work than I thought. I' ve come to the conclusion that most of the cruises are pretty close in cost. Now it's just deciding which one to take.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
Admiral

I have been to all three. And certainly there is NO one specific cruise that has it "all". And all cruises can offer you a fantastic time. You need to consider the overall itinerary. There are some better than others depending on your priority. IF it is glaciers, I do give an edge to Glacier Bay, if on a one way, definately look at itineraries that have two glacier sailing days, Princess and Hal, with Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

Tracy Arm is iffy at best getting within view. Its at the end of 30 mile fjord, that ships frequently "time out" of. Superior, is NCL and purchasing their add on "necessary" (in my opinion) Tracy Arm jet boat tour.

Be aware, that EACH glacier viewing is different per sailing. There is NO WAY to predict what your particular day of viewing will give you. Overall, you do more very predictable viewing in Glacier Bay, compared to the other two.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Okay I went through some of my videos and I have Hubbard Glaicer as seen from my balcony room on Celebrity Infinity. We did get a lot closer to the glaicer then this video shows, but I like this one cause it has some calving.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Okay these people have a way cooler video then mine. They went in June 27, 2006 and I went May 25, 2006 so I missed it by a month.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: hubbard, glacier bay and tracy arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0456
Is there really a big difference between these glaciers? I hear I should only go on the cruise that includes glacier bay. Is that true? Thanks
We did a 14 Day NB/SB on HAL last Aug . Both times we got close enough to feel the cold breeze off the glacier. The only problem is that , if you go early in the season(May & June (early)) .The glaciers maybe still icebound and can't get close to the face.
Never seen Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Captain

Default Re: hubbard, glacier bay and tracy arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0456
I have cruised to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and found out the hard way that many ships do not get any where near Hubbard Glacier because of ice. On our cruise to Hubbard Glacier the ship turned away about eight miles away and you really could not see anything. Glacier Bay on the other hand is almost always accessible by cruise ships.

So, in my opinion there is a huge difference if you are really interested in seeing glaciers, then I would take a ship that goes to Glacier Bay or take one of the ships that offer two days of glacier viewing that include Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com