Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Time to start planning Alaska excursions - need suggestions

Going to Alaska in May - time to start planning and saving for excursions which I always book online. We are going to Juneau, Ketchicans, Sitka and Skagway. Any suggestions on any of these ports? I am about 90% sure we are going to do the Glacier Treck via helicopter in Juneau but its like 400.00 pp so still thinking on if its worth it. I hear it is. We will be in Juneau 16 hours - so may be able to do two excursions??? Any feedback on any of these ports? We have done the whale watching, train ride white pass railway so don't want to do that again. Am thinking Juneau and Skagway may be our expensive ports - and Ketchicans may leave to lumberjacking and not sure what to do in Sitka. I am posting this on the Alaska board and this board because the Alaska board doesn't get looked at to often. Thanks!
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

You need to narrow down your interests, as you must know, there are hundreds of excellent tours.

I highly recommend Northstar Trekking. But only consider their longest trek, it's hardly worth the shorter ones. By time you get suited up, and going as fast as the slowest person, you barely have time out.

An alternative, if funds are limited is Above and Beyond, trekking west Mendenhall. Extensive trekking since no flights involved.

In Sitka, my top choice is always the boat trips, independent. With an all day in Juneau, this may be ideal for a Tracy Arm boat tour?
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Thanks for your suggestions! We are actually thinking of doing the glacier treck in Juneau. Are these all with the cruise lines? I'm a chicken and always go with the cruise lines.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For Juneau, look into whale watching, recommend Capt. Larry, great group of people and very informative tour.

Skagway, the white pass railroad is always something to see there, have done it twice now :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Donna ----- I did both of those the last time I went. :-) Want to try something different. Thanks for the suggestion tho!
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Ok, good, then you know they were worth doing...I'm already looking forward to a third trip up there in the future....Alaska is just something to see, you never get tired of it.

Let us know what you do decide to do, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Admiral

cherylroy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Donna ----- I did both of those the last time I went. :-) Want to try something different. Thanks for the suggestion tho!
In that case, try the "Ghosts & Goodtime Girls Walking Tour" of Skagway's back alleys.

Norm.
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Admiral

If you are in Skagway ,I would recommend the rail trip up
to the summit of the White Pass.

Most tours in Haines are a dead loss (waste of time and money[my opion])

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Thanks for your suggestions! We are actually thinking of doing the glacier treck in Juneau. Are these all with the cruise lines? I'm a chicken and always go with the cruise lines.
Northstar and Above and Beyond are both out of Juneau. Sorry, but it is definately superior to go independent with glacier trekking- smaller groups and you definately get more for your money.

Not sure, why- you are "chicken", but you have some inaccurate information if your concerns the the regular ones- getting left behind, sketchy vendors etc.

These recommendations are well established, long time Alaska businesses. It's still the US.

IF you go with a ship tour glacier trek, it will be SO SO at best, and the shortest available, with I recommend you avoid. It will be a large group that goes only as fast as the slowest person. With these short tours, a big portion of time is spent in the "prep" and not the activity.

You have 100% accurate information above. Go with what is your priority.
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Karen16,

Are you a travel agent?

Old December 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8
Karen16,

Are you a travel agent?
Nope, absolutely not. Just a frequent traveler.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Captain

While you are Skagway, I would recommend renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake. It is about a two hour drive, one way out of Skagway, and is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take. If you are interested there is an AVIS car rental office close to the pier. There is also a very interesting old grave yard near the railroad tracks, just as you leave Skagway. If you are thinking about renting a car please make your reservation as early as possible as they do sell out of cars almost every day during the season.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
While you are Skagway, I would recommend renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake. It is about a two hour drive, one way out of Skagway, and is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take. If you are interested there is an AVIS car rental office close to the pier. There is also a very interesting old grave yard near the railroad tracks, just as you leave Skagway. If you are thinking about renting a car please make your reservation as early as possible as they do sell out of cars almost every day during the season.

Debra
In my opinion, it is necessary to purchase and take with you "Murray's Guide" for this recommendation.
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Did the river raft trip in a bald eagle preserve in August (Haines, Skagway) and thought it was great. Beautiful scenery and plenty of eagle sightings. Don't remember the name of the tour company but it was through Princess.