Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Default Balcony cabin on Alaskan cruise

This is probably going to be a dumb question but here goes. My husband and I are planning our first Alaskan cruise and are trying to decide between an oceanview cabin and a balcony. The price of a balcony is quite steep and we really are wondering if it is worth it. Also (here comes the dumb question) if you have a balcony cabin wouldn't it be better to be on a certain side of the ship. If you were on the wrong side, wouldn't you be defeating your purpose of a balcony because you wouldn't see land? Any advice would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Admiral

We had a balcony on our Alaskan cruise. It's great because you can see humpback whales and dolphins right from your balcony. Also if you are going on the inside passage then you will see land on either side of the ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Yes I would get a balcony. Which one are you going on? Northbound or Southbound. Because I am doing the Southbound on the Carnival Spirit over 4th of July.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Captain

First of all, I'm a "Must have balcony" person for Alaska. Yes, you can and should use the upper decks for viewing too but I love sitting on the balcony whenever possible. It's a must for us.

Are you going to Glacier bay (you should). If that's the case I suggest portside for the balcony. As you're heading into the bay all the glaciers are port and this is when the Ranger/guide person is narrating. View of course would be the same on starboard as you leave the bay but the narration is done.

Next to consider is the route you'll take. Round trips from Seattle see more open sea. Round trips from Vancouver, at least when we last cruised to Alaska in 2003, we were near land in the passage and the view was the same from both sides of the ship...and spectacular I might add. For a good chunk of the trip we were really close to land.

One ways between Vancouver and Seward you'll be in the open sea more, however we never did that.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Passenger

I agree. A balcony is a must have for Alaska!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Passenger

I had to have a verandah and when our cruiseline was reported in the paper to be frequently breaking down (I posted this elsewhere) we had to change our plans at the very last minute. We signed up for RCCL Serenity out of Vancouver. The stress of changing was horrible, but the room was incredible. No Verandahs were left and we were told to consider a rather large room in the nose of the ship. Still disapointed, I had to resign myself to a new cruise line and no verandah. That is until we entered our room. IT was PERFECT. We were on the 7th floor, and there were 4 front rooms, we had the one to the starboard side. We overlooked the helicopter pad, and that was where everyone went to look our at the scenery. I did too. It meant going down two floors and walking up one. Simple.

When the weather was bad, I could look out of our port hole windows. We had 2 windows that were about 4 feet across. When it was night and the air was chilled, we could look out and not leave our room.

The room was several hundred dollars cheaper than our original verandah room on a different cruiseline. Not only was there a queen size bed with a curtain that could be closed around it, there was a love seat, an arm chair, a coffee table, two built in dressers, a desk, fridge, microwave, another small bedroom with two beds..one was a pullman. I counted the steps to walk from the windows to the desk and I think it was 8 steps. I am nearly 6 feet tall and have a long stride. The only thing small was the bathroom. I can live with that. I'd ask for the same room again.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For an Alaska cruise, I'd expecially get a balcony cabin, well worth the extra dollars. You'd be suprised at how much time you'll spend sitting outside in awe, go for it and you'll love it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Captain

seattlesails:

I am cruising Alaska out of Vancouver in July. Any tips?

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Unless money isn't an issue at all, go for the oceanview and spend the money you save on great excursions so you get to really see Alaska up close. I'd love a balcony but then would have no money left to go flightseeing, whalewatching and all the other neat things we do.

Murray
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Captain

It's all about budget and what's important to each individual traveler. I much prefer to spend the extra money on a balcony instead of an expensive helicopter flight (over $700 for 3 of us back in 2003) to land on a glacier for an hour or two.