Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Passenger

Default summer months okay for cruise to Alaska?

I have noticed lots of "deals" for cruises to Alaska during the summer. Is this not the time to go to Alaska?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Summer is the perfect time to go to Alaska. The weather will be beautiful. Enjoy your trip!
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbrittle
Summer is the perfect time to go to Alaska. The weather will be beautiful. Enjoy your trip!
Which line did you use when you went to Alaska?
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: summer months okay for cruise to Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannaj
I have noticed lots of "deals" for cruises to Alaska during the summer. Is this not the time to go to Alaska?
You can only cruise to Alaska between May and October. The only other way to go between Sept and May is the Alaska ferry system . All tourist sities are closed and only the locals are left for the winter.

I personally like to do 14 Day cruises from Vancouver on HAL.

This basically two 7 day cruises back to back from Van to Seward and return.

Princess , Celebrity and RCI also do this type of cruise.

Carnival might also do it as well.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

We've taken 4 Alaska cruises in the past 4 years - the Vision of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), the Radiance of the Seas twice, and Holland America's Amsterdam. While the Radiance is my favorite, my wife prefers the Amsterdam. All of the ships are excellent though - there's no such thing as a bad choice.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Passenger

No where is better to cruise than Alaska in summer. Remember the sun barely sets in Fairbanks in June, and it is daylight in Seattle until 10pm in late June. Somewhere in between, which is where you will be on your ship, makes for lots of daylight hours, unlike those from southern states where is can be dark by 8pm.

I disagree that there are no bad ships....stay away from Norwegian. In 2005 we were all booked and paid for a cruise to Alaska on NCL. 2 weeks before our departure our paper ran a detailed story about how the NCL ship we were going to be on, had been running on 2 engines instead of 4. Once at sea, they announced the reduced power and that some stops would be elimintated and others were reduced significantly. The one stop we needed to reach was now 2 hours instead of 18. We cancelled and changed to Royal and was so thankful we live in the town the ships left from or we would never have known what was about to happen. Sadly we learned that they had been doing this for 4 years, and every person arriving was deeply hurt by their lies. I doubt that ship returned the year following the series of articles, but I do not trust them. We had a company trip that took us on NCL in the Caribbean and it was not a good trip at all.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlesails
No where is better to cruise than Alaska in summer. Remember the sun barely sets in Fairbanks in June, and it is daylight in Seattle until 10pm in late June. Somewhere in between, which is where you will be on your ship, makes for lots of daylight hours, unlike those from southern states where is can be dark by 8pm.

I disagree that there are no bad ships....stay away from Norwegian. In 2005 we were all booked and paid for a cruise to Alaska on NCL. 2 weeks before our departure our paper ran a detailed story about how the NCL ship we were going to be on, had been running on 2 engines instead of 4. Once at sea, they announced the reduced power and that some stops would be elimintated and others were reduced significantly. The one stop we needed to reach was now 2 hours instead of 18. We cancelled and changed to Royal and was so thankful we live in the town the ships left from or we would never have known what was about to happen. Sadly we learned that they had been doing this for 4 years, and every person arriving was deeply hurt by their lies. I doubt that ship returned the year following the series of articles, but I do not trust them. We had a company trip that took us on NCL in the Caribbean and it was not a good trip at all.
Thats really nice of NCL....................................NOT!!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlesails

This is no longer true, for NCL, AND when was this and on what ship?? The Wind. Sky?? Which have been gone a long time. This can happen to ANY cruiseline. Celebrity has also had problems with their ships a few years ago.

I have sailed NCL many times in Alaska on all three ships.
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Princess cruises does a 10 day from San Francisco. Our Alaskan cruise sailed from San Francisco it's fun crusing under the Golden Gate Bridge. Plus it has a stop in Victoria Canada, which, is very pretty.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994