CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Rental car Seattle to Vancouver (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/360338-rental-car-seattle-vancouver.html)

2sailors January 16th, 2009 07:09 PM

Rental car Seattle to Vancouver

Here's our next question: We are flying to Seattle (cheaper than to Vancouver). Can we get a rental car at Seattle airport and drive to Vancouver, returning the car there? We weren't sure with crossing the border if that is possible or not. Ship leaves Vancouver Friday, we're arriving in Seattle Wed. night and want to head to Vancouver to do Butchart Gardens on Thursday. We were figuring a rental car would enable us to tour around a little and not have to worry about luggage.

Any other tips about Seattle/Vancouver much appreciated!

Kamloops Cruiser January 16th, 2009 09:09 PM

If you want to do Butchart , you have to get to Vancouver Island. The trip from Vancouver to Victoria (Butchart Gardens aka Vancouver Island ) is one long day . You have
1 Get a ferry to Vancouver Island (approx 2 hrs each way)
2 At least 1 hour wait at each terminal , more if a busy holiday week-end
3 1 hour from Vancouver to Tswassen Ferry
4 same at Swartz Bay Terminal

This adds up to at least 8 hours of travelling without even seeing the Gardens.

the best might be to take the ferry from Washington State to Victoria
Over night in Victoria and travel to Vancouver the next day

Bentnail January 17th, 2009 02:01 AM

Call the car rental place they will know about crossing the boarder with a rental car. Some may have extra fees for going out of the country.

The Victoria Clipper ferry might be the best way to go it puts you in Victoria and not that far to Butchart Gardens then rent a car and take Tswassen Ferry to Vancouver.

Kamloops Cruiser January 17th, 2009 09:24 AM

the cost of renting in seattle dropping the car in vancouver can get pricey.
last time I looked they had a 200usd surcharge.
another option is to take the shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver and then

link to Seattle/vancouver Shuttle

http://www.quickcoach.com/

take a bus to tour to Victoria/Butchart gardens.

http://www.vancouver.com

2sailors January 17th, 2009 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the info. I've been investigating all the suggestions given. Much appreciated!!

Karen16 February 1st, 2009 09:44 AM

I also never recommend Vancouver Island as a day trip. Always do at least one overnight. I have rented one way cars, MANY times, using Avis, Alamo, National, Budget. I go with the cheapest. There is also Hertz. You want downtown Vancouver NOT the airport. I most always walk to Canada Place, after dropping off/picking up bags.

I also would not recommend you go to Vancouver, then back track to Vancouver Island. Take the ferry out of Ancortes, or Port Angels, then from Vancouver Island via Tsawwassen to Vancouver.

2sailors February 1st, 2009 10:39 AM

Thanks, Karen

Unfortunately, our plane arrives in Seattle on Wednesday at 7:20 pm. From what I can see, no ferries run at a late enough time for us to make one to get to the island that evening. If we stay in Seattle Wednesday night, then get 1 of those ferries to VCI first thing Thursday is there any way to confirm a reservation? From what I've looked at on the ferry schedules, if you wait until the day of to book your crossing, it's "first come,first serve". Also, do either of these ferries from Seattle allow for vehicles, or are they foot passengers only? That's why we were thinking of getting close to Vancouver and taking the Tsawwassen both ways? We had wanted to stay on VCI Thrusday night but are worried that if there is bad weather, the ferry won't make the run on Friday morning and we'd miss our sailing! I was SO disappointed about that because I found a wonderful hotel on VCi where I would have loved to stay. Any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate.

Kamloops Cruiser February 1st, 2009 05:53 PM

Re: Thanks, Karen

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sailors
Unfortunately, our plane arrives in Seattle on Wednesday at 7:20 pm. From what I can see, no ferries run at a late enough time for us to make one to get to the island that evening. If we stay in Seattle Wednesday night, then get 1 of those ferries to VCI first thing Thursday is there any way to confirm a reservation? From what I've looked at on the ferry schedules, if you wait until the day of to book your crossing, it's "first come,first serve". Also, do either of these ferries from Seattle allow for vehicles, or are they foot passengers only? That's why we were thinking of getting close to Vancouver and taking the Tsawwassen both ways? We had wanted to stay on VCI Thrusday night but are worried that if there is bad weather, the ferry won't make the run on Friday morning and we'd miss our sailing! I was SO disappointed about that because I found a wonderful hotel on VCi where I would have loved to stay. Any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate.

The ferry from Tsawassen to Victoria takes reservations. Reservations should be done about 72 hrs before . They close reservations about before sailing or the ferry is expected to be full.

spencercoop February 1st, 2009 08:25 PM

look for a transfer with the cruise line.

Karen16 February 2nd, 2009 12:11 PM

Re: Thanks, Karen

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sailors

Seattle is passenger only, no cars. As I mentioned you would have to cross at Ancortes, which does take reservations. Sorry, but you are making a mistake to consider a ferry without them. Frankly, you are wasting a significant amount of time, if you use the Tsawwassen ferry, which does take reservations. You need to allow 4 hours from Seattle due to custom lines. It is a way round about routing eating up valuable time, you don't have. Your "bad weather, and missing the ferry" ideas are unfounded. It's not going to happen. The ferries run. I've taken the ferry the morning of cruises twice, but I also have way more time than you are planning. Think this through and really look at time realistically. You are probably going to be better off with other plans.

justrina March 7th, 2009 08:37 PM

Check out the Seattle to Vancouver train. Then you don't have to worry about a one-way rental.