Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Default Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord

Our first and probably only cruise to Alaska (7 days), which is best--HAL's Glacier Bay cruise, roundtrip Seattle or the Princess cruise roundtrip Seattle that crises the Tracy Arm Fjord? We plan on going about May 22 to take advantage of a lower price.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Captain

IMHO no contest.....Glacier Bay by far. Probably wouldn't get near the glaciers in Tracy Arm in May but even with best conditions Glacier bay is the choice. It's absolutely stunning.
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Admiral

By far, Glacier Bay, in your timeframe, you are NOT going to get within the Sawyer's view meaning, you will need to book some other type of tour IF you want to see any glaciers.
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord

Cheryl1841,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our first and probably only cruise to Alaska (7 days), which is best--HAL's Glacier Bay cruise, roundtrip Seattle or the Princess cruise roundtrip Seattle that crises the Tracy Arm Fjord? We plan on going about May 22 to take advantage of a lower price.
Hmmm....

When Carnival Corporation first acquired Holland America Lines (HAL), the company started marketing HAL as a traditional cruise for older people -- and that marketing slant continued for a couple decades, backed up by sedate activities and relatively bland cuisine that would cater to that set. Thus, the line has a loyal cadre of faithful repeat passengers who are "up there" in years whom it cannot afford to alienate, many of whom come aboard with their walkers and wheelchairs, so the bland cuisine and sedate activities continue.

Princess has taken a different tact, introducing the "Personal Choice Cruising" setup to cater to the so-called "'Me' Generation" with a diversity of activities, styles of cuisine, and dining options. Overall, it seems to have worked very well in spite of the fact that the change-over alienated more than a few of us who prefer a more traditional cruise product. Princess cruises seem to draw significant numbers of passengers of all ages.

Your choice.

Norm.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
First Mate

Default Wow!

I don't consider myself categorized by the last poster, but I sure do take offense to the reference of 'walkers and wheelchairs'.

It would make me more than proud to cruise with sensitive and more mature patrons than you, sir.

Old fogie at 44.

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Wow!

worthew8,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I don't consider myself categorized by the last poster, but I sure do take offense to the reference of 'walkers and wheelchairs'.

It would make me more than proud to cruise with sensitive and more mature patrons than you, sir.
I don't mind walkers and wheelchairs, either. I have often played bridge and engaged in other activities with fellow passengers who used them.

But I do mind there being so many walkers and wheelchairs "parked" at the entrances to public rooms and in passageways outside of passenger cabins that you can't come and go without tripping over them. At some point, an excessive number of walkers and wheelchairs becomes a fundamental safety problem.

Norm.
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Captain

Default Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8

Old fogie at 44.
Your point is very well taken. It is hard enough for people that have problems walking without others complaining about them.

The age of passengers is about the same on all cruises lines and also varies by destination and time of year i.e. spring break. I have sailed many cruise lines and there is no real difference in ages.

I could also write a long spiel about what RCCL has done to Celebrity, in the past several years since they took over, but it really has nothing to do with the OP's topic.

Glacier Bay is a National Park for a very good reason. I would highly recommend a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Also sailing from Seattle on a round trip cruise you will be spending a lot more time at sea. I would also recommend Princess cruises that leave out of Vancouver and do a one way trip to Alaska.

Debra
Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We went with the HAL's 7 day roundtrip out of Seattle, cruising Glacier Bay.

BTY, we kept with cruises that were roundtrip out of Seattle because I don't fly well and feel more comfortable with the roundtrip Seattle--shorter flight for me.

Our TA told me about a very nice price for a superior balcony suite which also helped make the decision.

We leave May 31.
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Captain

You won't be disappointed....enjoy the beauty of Alaska
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to candys mom Send a message via MSN to candys mom Send a message via Yahoo to candys mom

where all all those old fogeys on HAL. Ive been on 8 HAL cruises 1991 -2007 and havent seen many. also very few walkers and wheelchairs. I am going on my fourth Alaska cruise in May with my daughter & son in law. I hope our day in Glacier Bay will be as beautiful as the first one in 1991. It was foggy as we entered GB and when it lifted we had the Alpine glow on the mountains on our way to the glaciers. Beautiful, beautiful. as we left that Sunday afternoon I attended Mass and for a homily the priest read passages from the Old testament. It was a wonderful ending to the day. I guess I am an old fogey. I am 74 and my last cruise was a solo around Britain on the Princesdam in 2008. 12 ports in 14 days.! I came home exhausted although no one forced me off the ship every day. thanks for letting me vent.
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
First Mate

Candies mom,

You go, girl!