Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Default day in anchorage

we (group of 12 friends and family for wedding) disembark in whittier and there are never any flights back to LA that leave earlier (or should i say later) than midnight.

fine for me to have a full day to explore anchorage... figure will just put our bags in storage in the airport and take a bus to go do downtown sites, maybe also the heritage center... but i am concerned about my fiance's grandma... she has a bad hip and can walk ok but not for very long... i am trying to think of good activities to do where she wouldn't have to walk too much and just can't think of anything!
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Familiar Face

My family has planned to go on the 26 Glacier cruise, then ride the Alaska Railroad train in to Anchorage that evening. We have never done the Glacier cruise before, but we have ridden the train from Anchorage to Whittier before and enjoyed that, so hopefully we will enjoy this ride also.

Happy Cruising!
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Familiar Face

Just got back from Alaska. We did the glacier cruise and train ride into Anchorage. On the glacier cruise you could sit and enjoy the sites or you could go out on deck if you wanted. It was very comfortable. We saw lots of wildlife, even a whale. We also got to see a glacier calving and that was incredible! We got into Anchorage about 9 p.m.

We spent an additional day in Anchorage and our flight out was not until 11 pm. We rented a car for the day and enjoyed the sites. We went out to Earthquake Park and drove around Hood Lake to watch the float planes. We hadn't done a float plane on the cruise because it was not in our budget. However, after watching them for a while we checked to see how much a quick flight would be. We were very surprised to find that all 4 of us could go up for a reasonable price. We saw lots of wildlife, (moose, seals, beluga whales, eagles, and even a big bear!) We flew with Trail Ridge Air on Lake Hood. The folks there were very nice and the flight was awesome!

Happy Cruising!
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Beginner

I am also planning to take an alaskan cruise.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: day in anchorage

megs,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
we (group of 12 friends and family for wedding) disembark in whittier and there are never any flights back to LA that leave earlier (or should i say later) than midnight.

fine for me to have a full day to explore anchorage... figure will just put our bags in storage in the airport and take a bus to go do downtown sites, maybe also the heritage center... but i am concerned about my fiance's grandma... she has a bad hip and can walk ok but not for very long... i am trying to think of good activities to do where she wouldn't have to walk too much and just can't think of anything!
The major cruise lines usually set up a hospitality suite at the Egan Center located right downtown (IIRC, on 5th Avenue) with free shuttles from there to Anchorage International Airport (ANC). The hospitality suite offers a place to check your carry-on luggage while you explore the downtown.

The downtown area of Anchorage is imminently walkable and safe, and there are plenty of shops where you can browse and plenty of good restaurants and cafes where your fiance's grandmother can hang out. On weekends, there's also an open air market on 3rd Avenue in the vicinity of D Street and a series of street festivals in the downtown area. The only issue is that the last shuttle to the airport usually leaves the Egan Center at 6:00 PM, which means that you probably will have to go to the airport and find a restaurant in the terminal for dinner while you await your flight.

The other option would be to go directly to the airport upon arrival and rent a couple vehicles for your party for the day. This would give your party the option to remain in the city until 9:00 or so. I think that most of the shops close around 6:00, but the downtown area does have a lot of great restaurants where you can get dinner.

Renting vehicles also would give you the option to take a day trip outside of the city. I think that Talkeetna, with its views of Mount McKinley, would be a bit far for the time that you will have, but the Mount Alyeska Resort is certainly within striking distance!

And best wishes to you and your fiance for a long and happy marriage!

Norm.
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Beginner

I was also curious about the Heritage Museum in Anchorage? Is is worthwhile seeing?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4golf
I was also curious about the Heritage Museum in Anchorage? Is is worthwhile seeing?
Yes, if it is of interest to you??
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Captain

Since it is hard to get everyone to agree on what to do, you may want to split into two groups and spend the day doing different things. I would suggest renting a car for the day and drive around the area. If you are interested in the Iditarod dog sled race, there is a very interesting museum in Wasilla. Wasilla is only about a 45 minute drive north from Anchorage.

I can't say how many people I have seen that just sit at the Anchorage airport from before noon and waiting for a flight that leaves at nine or ten at night. What ever you decide to do, enjoy your time in the Anchorage area.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com