I'm a new member on cruisemates and found this thread to be most informative.
we have a cruise and land package with princess booked for 8/1-8/13.
for my wife, our 16 year old and 12 year old boys, and myself. We have never cruised before.
Itenary allows 7 hours in Ketchikan
12 hours in Juneau,
13 hours in Skagway
we also go to glacier bay and college fjord, but as I understand no off boat
excursions occur at those stops.
we then land at whittier and train to McKinley Princess Lodge for 2 nights
then we have 1 night at Denali Princess Lodge and then 1 night in Fairbanks before departure.
questions for knowledegable members
1. In Skagway we're torn between White Pass RR and the Eagle preserve float boat to Haines. Any comments on which is better and why?
2. I think we'll do a combo bus to Mendenhall glacier and boat out to whales. Is this a mistake?
3. In Ketchikan, sounds like Misty Fiord but which is better, by seaplane or boat?
4. We can book all of these through Princess, or should we use independents. If so, can you recommend good providers for these activities.
5. Haven't booked any excursions yet, is it too late? Want to book them
this week but I need feedback.
6. At McKinley Lodge, no excursions are provided as part of the tour. What excursions would you recommend. I think the kids would really like to see wildlife over viewing Mt. McKinley.
7. At Denali Lodge a 4-5 hour natural history tour is included. Is this a good excursion or should we be doing some other activity?
8. Sounds like we won[t get to see northern lights. This has alway been a lifelong dream for me, any ideas how it might be possible to see them?
I would stay up till 3:00 am to see them if that what it takes.
9. Packing advice, what do we need to be sure we bring to enjoy ourselves? As I say were novices at this.
I thank all you knowledgable members in advance for your suggestions and advice.
Our First Cruise