Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just booked semi-last minute cruise.....ADVICE please

Just booked a cruise for sailing from Vancouver to Whittier. Been on 8 previous cruises (all carribean). Need all the advice I can get for this cruise. i.e... type of clothes (day, night), what to do on board (used to hanging out by the pool with the DODs, don't think that is an opption here) and ANYTHING anyone can suggest! It will be most appreciated.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

This is a great year to cruise Alaska - prices are quite remarkable, and I'm about to book Alaska #5. I have lengthy photojournals of my last 4 Alaska cruises posted at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/ - I think they'll answer at least a few of your questions - the many excursions we took are part of those journals. You'll find excellent Alaska-cruise packing lists at http://www.alaskacruises.com/what_to_pack.asp

Murray
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Captain

What month are you going? What cruiseline?

Have you checked out the excursions yet?

Clothes: raincoat and gloves. The rest s/b be clothes you can layer.

I am going in July.

Isn't this exciting?!!!!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
What month are you going? What cruiseline?

Have you checked out the excursions yet?

Clothes: raincoat and gloves. The rest s/b be clothes you can layer.

I am going in July.

Isn't this exciting?!!!!
If you look at his signature it says May 2009. It says the Spirit, so I am guessing the Carnival Spirit, since all of his/her cruises are with Carnival.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Carnival Spirit has always hads the best bargains on Alaska cruises, and it is one of the better Carnival ships - so good choice.

My recommendation is that you try to see wildlife on shore excursions. Especially try to go whale watching. You might see whales from the ship if you keep a vigilent watch, but tours specially for whale watching will get you to where the whales are guarantee that you will see them.

A flightseeing tour to the top of a glacier is great if you can afford it. I personally recommend this over dog-sledding. When I polled people who had taken both they said they enjoyed the glacier more than the dog sledding. "Real" Dog sledding requires deep snow and skis - the ones they so on glaciers are one wheels usually - a simulation of the real thing.

Ketchikan has a cool walk up a salmon stream to a hatchery, I wouldn't book a tour to see salmon hatching.

If you have time, go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and look for bears - we got some great video footage of bears there.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/.../BlackBear.wmv
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the replies all. Thanks for the recommendations Paul. Right now the plan is to do a flightseeing tour, do some raftting and then some local tours. Of course, that is as long as it gets approved by the wife unit. Looking forward to it, will let y'all know how it goes when we get back.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Carnival Spirit has always hads the best bargains on Alaska cruises, and it is one of the better Carnival ships - so good choice.

A flightseeing tour to the top of a glacier is great if you can afford it. I personally recommend this over dog-sledding. When I polled people who had taken both they said they enjoyed the glacier more than the dog sledding. "Real" Dog sledding requires deep snow and skis - the ones they so on glaciers are one wheels usually - a simulation of the real thing.

Ketchikan has a cool walk up a salmon stream to a hatchery, I wouldn't book a tour to see salmon hatching.

If you have time, go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and look for bears - we got some great video footage of bears there.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/.../BlackBear.wmv

Again, you are inaccurate with your information. Carnival in NO way, has been the cheapest with the "best bargains". Over MANY years, that goes to Princess and HAL has excellent deals this summer , NCL, RCI less so.

You are also completely wrong on your glacier dog sledding. There are NO wheeled dog sledding on the fly in glacier dog sledding tours. These are ON SLEDS WITH RUNNERS (skis).

You don't book at tour to see salmon "hatching". It's a hatchery, where the salmon spawn/released. You are NOT going to see any salmon out of Ketchikan, if not in season.

You will be better off sticking to what you have personally gone on and experienced in Alaska. Not sure, how many trips you have taken to Alaska, but accurate information is necessary, not guess work, or misunderstood factors.