Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Beginner

Default Best Alaskan Cruise for Family of 4

Hubby and I are in our 40's and we have 2 daughters ages 20 & 12. Wondering if an Alaskan cruise will be fun for them and if so which cruise line would you suggest for our age & for in the girls ages too? Looking at the end of June.

By the way, is Alaska the least expensive cruise now?
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Captain

Hi ideamom!
Welcome to CruiseMates!

I am also cruising to Alaska this summer w/ my family (21 & 17).

I having been researching and planning this since August. We are excited and know we'll have a great time.

But I am afraid your question is too general. It's hard to pick a cruise for someone you don't know anything about.

Suggestion: Take a look at the various cruislines itineraries to see which one you find most appealing. Then look at the ships to see which one catches your fancy. This should help you narrow it down a little.

Come back and let us know what you decide. There is a wealth of knowledge here about each cruise line. ports and excursions.

Alaska cruise prices are great this year! Lowest in a while.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Familiar Face

We are in our 40's too. We are taking two of our daughters on an Alaskan cruise on HollandAmerica in the first week of June. Our daughters are 28 and 18. The 18 yr old is not easily impressed. We live in the SF bay area so she has lots of social resources. I worried she wouldn't be interested, but she's very excited.

We took a cruise on Princess in 2001. Other than a very young couple on their honeymoon, we were the youngest on the cruise. That didn't sound very appealing at first, but it was wonderful! There was no josteling around with a million people trying to be first. Everyone was super polite. We actually relaxed. it didn't seem like an amusement park.

We finally found the disco/club on the third night. It was always empty and we had a blast with the crew that was working or stopping by. Good since we didn't feel like going to bed at 8 like many of our shipmates.

I chose my cruise based on itinery. Our first cruise, we had way too much time at sea and not enough in port. I'm on the Westerdam on may 31st because each stop is nearly the full day. We had to sacrifice Skagway for that though. The train excursion is AMAZING.

We are allowing our girls to bring their laptops since there is a lot of downtime on ship.

Research the ports before you go. There are lots of things to do and see that aren't an expensive excursion. I lived in Juneau most of my life and made a very good living as a waitress during tourist season. If you don't know what to look for, you will end up spending 5 or 6 hours funneled into the shops. Rush past them and see the towns, you can shop on the way back. Look for the Alaskan native made sticker. It has a hand on it. There is a lot of imported junk.

Happy sailing!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Captain

If you and daughters like nature at all this is a great trip for you. Alaska is more about scenery than bellyflop contests at the pool. Itinerary is very important. I am a "Must go to Glacier bay" for a first Alaskan cruise person. This will narrow your choices of ships and cruise lines. Sailing from Vancouver is best I think but Seattle is nice too.

Assuming you're going when school's out there will be plenty of young people on the ship for your daughters to meet. Don't worry when you read that lines like HAL only have really really old people on the ship. Not so in Alaska. All ages will be found.

I'm the type that enjoys kicking back and watching the scenery go by. But if you like to be more active there are a ton of events on the ships on your sea days. You nor your daughters will be bored.

I suggest going into one of the travel sites like Travelocity and compare lines and prices and itineraries to help you make your choice. Then find a travel agent that specializes in cruising. It makes a difference.

You'll all have a great time.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Beginner

We've actually been on 2 cruises before, but they were both to the caribbean and on Carnival. Hubby & daughters are not sold on Alaska yet. They said, we just got out of winter...why would you want to go to Alaska? How cold is it?

So how cold would it typically be the end of June?
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, Peter, lots of younger people go to Alaska. it just didn't happen on the one cruise we took. There was a HUGE contingent of VFWs on this particular cruise. i didn't say really really old though

ideamom, it's chillier, but not cold. People hear Alaska and think tundra. Southeast AK is a rainforest. It is drizzly most of the time, but not cold. The end of June is very nice, and it's really likely you will get sunshine. Even if it's 60 to 70 degrees, it feels warmer. My husband didn't buy that until he experienced it.

Sweatshirts and light jackets. Long sleeves so you can layer. Oh, and tell them the Caribbean will still be there next year.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Captain

I can sympathize w/ those who think an Alaskan cruise will be cold. I thought the same. But then I started researching it and am now willing to put up w/ a few sweater weather days to go on some great excursions and see the scenic landscape sail by.

You should be aware that Alaska ports are excursion intensive ---- you could walk around most port in an hour so make sure you have something planned for each one.

Plus this is a great year to cruise Alaska -- prices are really low!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

[quote="WildRover"]I can sympathize w/ those who think an Alaskan cruise will be cold. I thought the same. But then I started researching it and am now willing to put up w/ a few sweater weather days to go on some great excursions and see the scenic landscape sail by.

quote]

IF you are spending TIME outside, you definately will need more than a sweater on the ship. A lightweight jacket is necessary with knit hat and gloves, IF you plan on being out for your glacier viewing.

Overall, you will need a wide range of attire. LAYERS are the key, along with 2 pair of walking shoes and rain gear.

This general list, goes for the entire season, in my experience.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Default Sawyer Glacier

Someone said a must see was Glacier Bay...well the cruise I'm looking at goes to Sawyer Glacier. How is that?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wild,
I couldn't agree more, most think you just freeze up there. The day I was in Juneau last summer, temp hit 80, needless to say, I was NOT dressed for 80. Once we went on the whale excursion and were on the water, it felt wonderful.

I now would rather go to Alaska over the Caribbean, go figure??

Message Boards Moderator