Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Beginner

Default Anchorage to Seward - Train or rental car

I am leaving with the HAL Veendam Sunday May 24 from Seward.

Arriving around 1 AM in the morning and was wondering if I should take the train at 6:45 AM or rent a car. I am also planning to go to Exit Glacier near Seward.

Pro Train: Great scenery, more relaxed, less expensive

Pro Car: You can stop where you want, will already have transportation to go to Exit Glacier

Any advice from past Alaska Travelers will be appreciated what to do. A third alternative would be the bus from Anchorage but I can’t see any advantage doing that compared to the other 2.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

The train is superior scenery, but Seward is a gem, with WAY more than just Exit Glacier to see. Is glaciers your priority? You may want to then consider the car rental and get to Portage glacier visitor center and boat tour.

Exit glacier can be gotten to via shuttle bus as well as taxi. You might, FIRST want to find out, if there are any car rentals available, and cost? There is only Hertz.

A top tour choice in Seward is definately a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Just fantastic.
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback. We decided to take the train but now we wonder which one. I have contacted HAL and they seem to have a nicer train than the regular one from Alaska RR. Costs are just a little bit highter ($98 vs. $75) but it seems you have a much better view. May I ask if you have any experience with this?
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Better "view", it goes the SAME tracks with the same view. I suggest you consider the timing of your choices. The contracted train leaves Anchorage TOO late for much of any touring and arrives in Seward too LATE for much either. I have taken the Alaska RR many times, their trains, never having any concern with them.

I suggest you look further at what you wish to consider for your short time?? If a Kenai Fjords boat tour is an option, then you have to book the regular run, if it doesn't matter to you, then book either.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Thank you. That is great advice