Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska dining room dress

We have done Carnival a number of times to the Carribian and Holland America before to Alaska but June 3rd is the first Carnival to Alaska. Can anyone help me with the expected dress atire for the evening meal? Ia it the same as the southern ones or is it different on an Alaska cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default DRESS CODE FOR EACH NIGHT

[color=#444444][color=red]I suggest reading a brochure, remember the pictures are an example of the image the cruise line sets for passengers.
Recommendation for smart casual, simi formal and formal are identified for every cruise.
Always check to verify if there are self serve laundry facilities onboard, this really helps reduce the amount of clothing to be packed.
These dress codes will be posted in the PLATTER each day and at the dining room every evening.

Happy sailing.

Danny
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Passenger

Thank you Danny for your response. Most of the photos are of the southern routes it seems. All I am trying to find is if the dress code is similar to a winter cruise that I am more familiar with. I would hate to show up in a suit and find out everyone else in the entire dining room is wearing a flannel shirt and muk-luks. I just figured someone has been on the Spirit at some time and could help us plan to dress approprietly.
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Familiar Face

I wouldn't recommend a sundress for the dining room! For dinner on the Spirit (Alaska), we dressed in the same type of clothing that we did for a carribean cruise. We just didn't wear light weight dresses/blouses, etc. You are still eating in the dining room, so you should be comfortable without extra layers of clothing.

Happy Cruising!
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Passenger

Thank you 4cruise. I assumed it would be like a regular cruise with 2 more formal nights and the rest not quite as much. The question arose in my mind when some friends came back from Hawaii on a cruise and said it was far less formal on their boat.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You pretty much dress the same for an Alaska cruise at dinner in the dining room. The inside temp is about the same.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLivin
Thank you Danny for your response. Most of the photos are of the southern routes it seems. All I am trying to find is if the dress code is similar to a winter cruise that I am more familiar with. I would hate to show up in a suit and find out everyone else in the entire dining room is wearing a flannel shirt and muk-luks. I just figured someone has been on the Spirit at some time and could help us plan to dress approprietly.

It would be a much more interesting cruise if someone DID wear that! You can see a man in a suit anywhere.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska dining room dress

MNLivin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We have done Carnival a number of times to the Carribian and Holland America before to Alaska but June 3rd is the first Carnival to Alaska. Can anyone help me with the expected dress atire for the evening meal? Ia it the same as the southern ones or is it different on an Alaska cruise?
Officially, the standards of dress aboard ship in Alaska are the same as aboard ship in the Caribbean. They do, however, vary from cruise line to cruise line.

Unfortunately, there are a few travel agents who wrongly tell their passengers that standards of dress are more lax in Alaska, with the obvious consequence that their passengers don't bring the proper attire and end up coming to the dining room underdressed for the occasion, so don't be surprised if you see a few underdressed passengers in the evening.

Norm.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Passenger

Thanks to those that responded. We have packed as we have for our past cruises. Should be a good time and looking forward to once again sailing Alaska. Just looked at the clock, should be getting close to the MSP airport at this time Wed.