Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Default Best Tim To Go To Alaska

My husband has ALWAYS wanted to go to Alaska and me not so much. I do not like COLD weather and think it is CRAZY to pay all that money to be cold. However I have heard it is so beautiful that I might consider it. I don't know anything about Alaska crusing except I know we want to go on the train ride. We can go for 2 weeks so any suggestions to what month is best and what cruiseline? I usually book all my cruises on my own, do you think I will need a TA? Looking to go in 2011

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Captain

Hi Carol,

It can be cool at any time of the season in Alaska and I have seen times when the weather was better in mid to late May than in July and August. As you know an Alaskan cruise is not the same as a Caribbean cruise. Whether it is cold or not depends on what one considers cold. I consider temperatures in the fifty's as cool and not cold, but someone else might consider that cold. My favorite time to cruise to Alaska is in mid May. The reasons are that the cruise prices can be much lower and also the mountains will still be covered with beautiful white snow.

Taking a one way cruise to Alaska and spending a week on land before or after your cruise is the best way to see Alaska. The train ride to Denali is just fantastic. If you are so inclined you can also rent a car and drive to Denali and this IMHO, gives you a lot more flexibility. While you are on land in Alaska there is an AlaskanTour book that offers many 2 for 1 coupons that offer a great savings. In past years they even had a two for 1 Alaskan train ride package to Denali with hotel accommodations.

Having sailed to Alaska more than ten times now (I know, I am hooked on Alaska!) on Princess, Holland America and Celebrity, my favorite would be Princess. Holland America also does a good job in showing off Alaska. Both Princess and Holland America do sail to Glacier Bay national park, which is the highlight of any Alaskan cruise. Many of these cruises to Glacier Bay also offer a second day of glacier cruising in College Fjord.
Celebrity is not allowed into Glacier Bay and three of their ships (Infinity, Millennium and Summit) have a known design problem that has caused propulsion problems on several cruises throughout the years.

I prefer to book direct with the cruise lines and will only use a TA if at some later date they can offer a better deal with reduced price or onboard credits.

The most important thing is to do your homework and plan an Alaskan vacation that fits with the things that you want to see and do.

Hope some of this helps.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It can also be nice and warm there, depending on the time of year. You can almost always expect some rain, but nothing terrible, just pack some kind of rain gear.

It is absolutely beautiful and worth going, you may never be cold..

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Hi Carol,
We've been in Alaska 3 times and found the best time to go is in the middle of June because the days are longer.
Have a nice cruise.

MTL
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Admiral

With 2 weeks a one week cruise and another touring interior Alaska is a common plan. Easy to go on your own, and seeing plenty.

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially good. Decide what you want to see and do. Less is more here, distances are vast, and many people don't realize it, making big mistakes in planning. Denali Park is usually a highlight, 2 nights are needed there and 1-2 more in transit. Then either look at Homer or Fairbanks perhaps. Then your cruise- I prefer HAL due to Seward.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Beginner

What do you consider to be cold? It certainly won't be the Caribbean, but I've been there twice, and it's been in the 60's and 70's and LOVELY. Some people think Alaska is all snow and ice (I know, many people have made that comment in surprise after seeing my pictures!) but it isn't. It's verdant, and lush and beautiful.

I've been there in late May/early June, and in early September, and found the weather very similar, and very much to my liking. I think the September weather was unseasonable, so I'd probably have to lean towards the late May/early June timeframe as the best time to go.

Sayhello
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Admiral

No matter WHEN you go, you are going to run into COLD weather. Unless you have NO interest in seeing glaciers during the scheduled glacier scenic sailing day.

Alaska requires a wide range of attire, including knit hat and gloves. Can also be shorts in ports, although, I have never worn them there.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I have been to Alaska twice - once in Sept and once in May. I prefer May and am going through withdrawals because I want to go back so bad!!! This last trip was so frickin awesome I would hop on a plane tomorrow if I could! The weather? They had snow on the mountains of grouse mountain (vancouver) and all the ports we went to we could have worn shorts! It must have been unusually warm?????? We are from southern louisiana - so any kind of cool is welcome. The weather was beautiful and NO RAIN! Totally awesome! Guess you figured that one out by now! Went on the glacier trek in Juneau and well worth every cent we paid! Go to Alaska - you won't regret it!
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Admiral

The weather in Alaska can be anything at anytime.
From friends have done cruise tours , do the land portion first
and then the cruise . The best cruise tours are Holland America
and Princess . The cruise gives you a rest after the land tour.
You could also do 10 day cruise from San Fran .
I can't remember (Princess ?) is going to have a 14 day cruise
from Seattle that actually docks in Anchorage not Seward
or Whittier.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess