Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Default Transportion from Anchorage to Seward

My husband and I are cruising from Seward to Vancouver in late May. Will be flying to Anchorage 3 days early to do some sightseeing before cruise. We were thinking of renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Seward and returning the car there, but it is so much more expensive per day than just renting in Seward after we get there. Therefore, we need advice on best way to get from Anchorage to Seward. We cannot find a flight that arrives in Anchorage before about 3:30 p.m. I've looked at the train and also a bus that makes 3 stops. Anyone have any advice. I'm assuming we will have to stay in Anchorage that evening even though we'd rather go on to Seward. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

We took a bus from Anchorage to Seward. We enjoyed it more than the train from Fairbanks to Anchorage. However, the weather that day was great.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Admiral

You have the option of renting the car round trip Anchorage, for as long as you need it- a day or two. Then taking the Alaska RR to Seward. Many times a car is not needed there as cabs/shuttles are available. What is it you are looking at doing?? How much time are you spending in Seward? What activities?

I suggest you figure out how you wish to spend your time, then pick the transfer that allows for the best use of time.

In my opinion, costs are also measured in more than money in my travels. It is measured in time as well. My vacation time is valuable. If spending money offers me a better routing and timeframe for activities I want, then it is well worth the extra cost for me. (and I am a very frequent traveler, over 12 weeks/yr) I find it insignificant, the money issue with some people who have only a couple weeks/year of traveling. My opinion only, but I would be real sure to make the most of it.
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Admiral

countrygirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
My husband and I are cruising from Seward to Vancouver in late May. Will be flying to Anchorage 3 days early to do some sightseeing before cruise. We were thinking of renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Seward and returning the car there, but it is so much more expensive per day than just renting in Seward after we get there. Therefore, we need advice on best way to get from Anchorage to Seward. We cannot find a flight that arrives in Anchorage before about 3:30 p.m. I've looked at the train and also a bus that makes 3 stops. Anyone have any advice. I'm assuming we will have to stay in Anchorage that evening even though we'd rather go on to Seward. Any advice would be appreciated.
The segment of the Alaska Railroad between Anchorage and Seward passes through some really incredible scenery that's completely inaccessible by road, and it's far more comfortable than a "motorcoach" with larger seats and food and beverage service, so it's well worth the fare.

For taking the train from Anchorage to Seward, there are two options.

>> 1. You can take the daily scheduled Alaska Railroad passenger train from Anchoarage to Seward a day or two before your cruise if you want to spend some time in Seward. This service operates from the main Alaska Railroad passenger station on First Street in Anchorage to the passenger terminal in the town of Seward. If you rent a car in Seward, the car rental company might provide transportation to the pier when you return the vehicle. If not, Seward must be large enough to have a few taxis that can transport you to the pier.

>> 2. If you opt to rent a car at Anchorage International Airport and return it there on the morning of the day of your cruise, your cruise line may offer the "Grandview Rail Transfer" which is operated by the Alaska Railroad. This service, booked thorugh your cruise line, operates from a relatively new passenger train station connected to the main terminal at Anchorage International Airport to the tracks on your ship's pier in Seward, so you can walk directly from the rental car drop-off counter to the train and then from the train to the cruise check-in facility on the pier.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Norm.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Admiral

I would recommend using the cruise line transfer ( bus or train)

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
I would recommend using the cruise line transfer ( bus or train)

Reason????

In my opinion, the cruise transfers are many times, poor choices. With Seward transfers, they leave too early out of Anchorage, for much of any touring, and arrive too late in Seward, for some of the tours. The prices are just about always, more than booking direct.