Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default Snow in Alaska

Even though I am sure as I write this that many people in the U.S. might say they never want to see any more snow in their lifetimes, I can't say that. I live in the deep south and although it is cold today for us, we haven't seen snow in years. I want to see pretty snow, not the slushy mixed with dirt snow we get in the south. Will I see this when I travel to Alaska the last week of May this year? Anyone have any suggestions what kind of excursion I need to take to see this? Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
Even though I am sure as I write this that many people in the U.S. might say they never want to see any more snow in their lifetimes, I can't say that. I live in the deep south and although it is cold today for us, we haven't seen snow in years. I want to see pretty snow, not the slushy mixed with dirt snow we get in the south. Will I see this when I travel to Alaska the last week of May this year? Anyone have any suggestions what kind of excursion I need to take to see this? Thanks for any advise.
You'll definitely see snow on the mountains. You didn't say what cruise line or ship. You can take a glacier tour to see and walk on snow.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

You can take a tour or just rent a car to head north a few miles to the White Pass summit - there will be all the pure white snow you can possibly want there! See this photo album from Fraser, the Canadian border crossing just past the summit - Fraser, British Columbia - a Community Guide by ExploreNorth
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the information Yukon. My husband and I have already reserved a car in Skagway and are planning on driving to Emerald Lake. Will we be traveling in the same direction as where you recommend we go to see powdery snow? I could get a map, but thought it would be easier to get my information from you.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You are doing the right thing, if you want to see snow, by renting the car. There are areas you can pull over and even play around in the snow. Remember it's colder up there.

You can also do a helicopter tour in Juneau or Skagway and do a glacier landing.

If you do a flight-seeing tour you will see plenty of snow and glaciers. It is one of the most enjoyable and beautiful tours I've done.

Enjoy the snow and Alaska. I know you will.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the information Yukon. My husband and I have already reserved a car in Skagway and are planning on driving to Emerald Lake. Will we be traveling in the same direction as where you recommend we go to see powdery snow? I could get a map, but thought it would be easier to get my information from you.

There is only one road, the Klondike Highway. AND yes, plenty of snow to be seen.

Be certain to purchase and take with you, Murray's Guide.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Passenger

We have the Murray's Guide in hand and I've read through it several times. About how long should we allow to drive to Emerald Lake and back, taking time for several stops?
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Quote:
We have the Murray's Guide in hand and I've read through it several times. About how long should we allow to drive to Emerald Lake and back, taking time for several stops?
Most people find 5 hours about right for the whole trip - that allows for lots of stops, lunch, etc. It's only 73 miles each way, so you could do it in 3 hours with no stops (I do it in much less than that, but have made the drive several hundred times).