Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska excursions advice family of 4

My husband and I and our two daughters are going on the Princess Grand May 15th. First time to Alaska and we want to do things fun or all 4 of us. My husband and both late 40's and our girls 11 and 21. Can anyone suggest anything for us?
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There are many good excursions to do in Alaska. I'd go to the Princess site and start looking through them. Almost everything to do is expensive, so pick wisely. In Skagway, I'd suggest doing the White Pass Railroad, wonderful narriated scenic views and you learn a lot about the region.

Do you want to visit a glacier via helicopter, go whale watching in Juneau...

You'll just need to narrow down what you want to see and do in the ports. What ports will you be visiting?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Hi LeiLoni! We did this cruise last year on Island Princess and our very favorite excursion was the whale watching in Juneau. We not only saw whales, but all kinds of wildlife and beautiful scenery.

We enjoyed the White Pass Railroad excursion, too.

I know you'll have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiLoni View Post
My husband and I and our two daughters are going on the Princess Grand May 15th. First time to Alaska and we want to do things fun or all 4 of us. My husband and both late 40's and our girls 11 and 21. Can anyone suggest anything for us?
One bit of warning about Alaska, is that I went to Alaska for a one-time trip 16 years ago and have returned now some 14 times!.
I don't know what your ports are but if one of your ports is Skagway, I would recommend renting a car from AVIS and driving to Emerald Lake. It is one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Drive time is about two hours, each way. There would be a huge cost savings for four of you and the advantage of stopping whenever and wherever you wanted to take pictures. Trust me there will be many of those stops!!! Driving in Alaska is very easy. If you think you might want to rent a car and drive and you would like more information please ask.

In Ketchikan be sure and go to Creek Street. It is only a short walk from the pier.

The best suggestion that I could offer is to do research at the library or on-line to see what activities suit your family best.

Enjoy your cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com