Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Question Activities in juneau??

I am cruising to Alaska in May 2010 out of Seattle. I will meet up with my son, who is in there, in Juneau. What type of activities can I do with him there? He is 24 yrs old and I don't do Mountain Climbing or Hiking...
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default Time available?

How much port time will you have in Juneau on your particular cruise? That could influence your choices.

Would your son be bored with a standard "tourist activity" such as seeing Mendenhall Glacier if he lives there?
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Whale watching! We had an incredible experince last year in Juneau. While we booked through the ship, there were other people on the boat who apparently booked on their own. I'm sorry that I don't remember the name of the company, but maybe someone else will.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral

CruznKO,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I am cruising to Alaska in May 2010 out of Seattle. I will meet up with my son, who is in there, in Juneau. What type of activities can I do with him there? He is 24 yrs old and I don't do Mountain Climbing or Hiking...
The city itself is quite accessible on foot.

>> The state capital building, which is about a ten minute walk from the pier (go to the left along the waterfront from the warf, then fork off to the right where the waterfront bends to the left), offers free tours throughout the day. These tours are quite interesting!

>> On the cross street a block beyond the capital, St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church has some very interesting icons and the (Roman Catholic) Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary also has some interesting art and stained glass windows. Figure on about 10-15 minutes each.

>> The shops directly across the street from the warf carry authentic Russian nesting dolls and other Russian and Alaskan souvenirs.

Also, the waterfront station of the Mount Roberts Tramway is at the end of the warf to the right as you come off the ship. If you get a clear day, it's worth taking the tramway up to the top of Mount Roberts for spectacular views.

If you want a little adventure, there's "zip lining" excursion and there are helicopter flightseeing and whale watching, and there are several excursions that visit the Mendenhall Glacier.

And finally, Juneau is noted for its famous salmon bake.

Norm.

Last edited by Rev22:17; April 6th, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Beginner

Thumbs up Thanks for the Suggestions

I appreciate the feedback and will look into all the advice. I'm hoping to have a full day in port to spend. I'm still open for more suggestions, thanks...
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Captain

As noted...Whale watching is great. Shouldn't miss Mendenhall Glacier, it's beautiful. Mt Roberts tram is great if the weather's good. But if your son has a car and you have the time.... go across the bridge to Douglas Island and turn left. At the end of the road is a trailhead that'll take you to the abandoned gold mine. On the other side of the island (a right turn after crossing the bridge) are some trailheads through the rainforest which are wonderful. I'm not talking hard hiking either. Nice level short walks on paths and boardwalks. Another nice drive is to head out towards the end of the hwy towards St Theresas church. Also a beautiful drive.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:08 PM
First Mate

I really enjoyed an excursion from my ship called Photo Safari. It took a small group of people with various photo skills to Mendenhall Glacier (with a short hike) and then on to a boat trip that brought us to see whales, eagles, and beautiful scenery.

The Mt. Roberts tram was great for a view of Juneau, and on a good day, Glacier Bay National Park.

I'm sure Juneau has a website for visitors, try searching that.

Good luck!

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Have your son plan the day. IF this also for a "visit" you may not want it packed with activities?? www.traveljuneau.com