Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Default Best Line for Glacier Bay Cruise

I am planning a promotional group cruise for May 2011 for a Glacier Bay Alaska itinerary. The main lines I am looking at are Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, and NCL. I know Princess and Holland America have Glacier Bay itineraries, but am not sure on the other two off the top of my head. Please tell me anything you can about each line so that I make the right choice for my clients and myself.
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

NCL also does Glacier Bay. The Norwegian Pearl sails out of Seattle with a full day in Glacier Bay. This may be a good alternative for a group since it sails out of Seattle and air pricing is more attractive than flying in and out of Vancouver or open jaw from Vancouver or Anchorage.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Admiral

No, Celebrity does not have permits for Glacier Bay.

All other ships will be similar for "Glacier Bay" as the Park Service rangers come on board and narrate the trip for the day.

There are other factors, I would suspect you would need to also look at for a "group cruise". Such as ports, time in ports and routing?

In my opinion, having sailed to Alaska the NCL Pearl has the crappiest front viewing deck space, if you are booking a bunch of inside passengers. The only viewing I would recommend would be the side viewing on the mid deck- all open.

Balconies, IF they only want Glacier Bay viewing from their cabin will need a port side cabin.
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Captain

Karen is right that Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay. Celebrity was banned for illegal dumping, many years ago.

My choice for cruising Alaska would be Princess, but I have heard many good things about the NCL Pearl.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Karen is right that Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay. Celebrity was banned for illegal dumping, many years ago.

My choice for cruising Alaska would be Princess, but I have heard many good things about the NCL Pearl.

Debra
Debra... could you please point out where the official release stating Celebrity has been "banned from visit Glacier Bay for illegal dumping".

While it is true the number of ships allowed to visit Glacier Bay is limited, I searched and good find nothing about Celebrity being banned for illegal dumping.

In fact, in checking on fines for various violations in Alaska it seemed the vast majority in recent history have been against Princess and RCI ships.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki,

Royal Caribbean was banned from Glacier Bay for the 1999 illegal dumping of waste water outside of Juneau. They were fined by the state of Alaska and banned from Glacier Bay.

Kenai Peninsula Online - Alaska NewspaperState to investigate Norwegian Cruise Line 08/01/02

"The state sued Royal Caribbean Cruise Line for illegal dumping of oil and chemicals in Alaska water. The suit resulted in a $3.5 million settlement Royal Caribbean agreed to pay in January 2000. The company was put on probation and barred from entering Glacier Bay National Park near Juneau for several years."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've done Alaska 6 times, twice out of Seattle on Holland American, both times in the middle of May and had fantastic viewing of Glacier Bay. In fact, I am going on the Oosterdam on May 14th to Glacier Bay. I went once on Pricess to Glacier Bay in May but the ship could not go all the way in due to too many icebergs. The ship, Sapphire, was larger than Holland so maybe that was why, never had a problem with Holland. I would be leary of NCL.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Kuki,

Royal Caribbean was banned from Glacier Bay for the 1999 illegal dumping of waste water outside of Juneau. They were fined by the state of Alaska and banned from Glacier Bay.

Kenai Peninsula Online - Alaska NewspaperState to investigate Norwegian Cruise Line 08/01/02

"The state sued Royal Caribbean Cruise Line for illegal dumping of oil and chemicals in Alaska water. The suit resulted in a $3.5 million settlement Royal Caribbean agreed to pay in January 2000. The company was put on probation and barred from entering Glacier Bay National Park near Juneau for several years."

Take care,
Mike
Mike.. I guess that didn't show up because I was searching Celebrity, not RCI.

Though it's not clear from the article, if Celebrity was included in the ban with RCI. It may be, or maybe not, as I noticed that though Carnival was banned, Holland America (owned by Carnival Corp) was not.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Carnival currently sails into Glacier Bay so either they were forgiven or their ban has expired.
You can search for the applications on the Alaska National Parks website. Celebrity applied back in 2000 but were turned down. No application from Royal Caribbean. New licenses were recently given out for 2010 - 2019 - Celebrity didn't get one - nor does it look like they applied.

Last edited by Trackypup; April 22nd, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
First Mate

Default port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16 View Post
No, Celebrity does not have permits for Glacier Bay.

All other ships will be similar for "Glacier Bay" as the Park Service rangers come on board and narrate the trip for the day.

There are other factors, I would suspect you would need to also look at for a "group cruise". Such as ports, time in ports and routing?

In my opinion, having sailed to Alaska the NCL Pearl has the crappiest front viewing deck space, if you are booking a bunch of inside passengers. The only viewing I would recommend would be the side viewing on the mid deck- all open.

Balconies, IF they only want Glacier Bay viewing from their cabin will need a port side cabin.
Could you explain why port side is better? I was on starboard and didn't think I missed anything.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As you go into Glacier Bay the majority of the glaciers are on the port side. When you get to the end of the bay the ship usually turns around to give everyone a good look. When leaving the bay the ship is farther out from the glaciers.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Captain

And in the case of our visits...the Ranger on board only narrated as we were entering so while being on the portside you got the explainations for what you were seeing.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Captain

Looks like I really wanted to make my point....honest, I only clicked the post button once!
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Peter,

The system had a database hiccup. I removed the duplicates. Either that or the system really wanted people to pay attention.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Captain

I actually thought my system caused it.....when I make a comment....I need to make sure it's "heard"! Thanks Mike
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
And in the case of our visits...the Ranger on board only narrated as we were entering so while being on the portside you got the explainations for what you were seeing.
I just realized why I didn't notice a difference. While heading in I was on deck, and while heading out I was on my balcony ( which worked out great, because Marjorie Glacier calved at eye level ).

Yes, the Ranger did remark about things on the way in. Although, on the way out, she still kept narrating about the wildlife popping up around us. I liked the fact they had a camera on bridge and could focus on the wildlife she was talking about ( which was projected through my cabin TV ). This enabled me to get a fix on it with my camera while on my balcony. Glacier Bay was the most photogenic of any of my worldly tours.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Captain

I'd forgotten to mention about the narration on the tv. While on the balcony we could hear the rangers voice but couldn't understand it at all. We turned on the tv and set the volume and we coud hear everything she said. Very nice indeed. I assume all the lines to that these days.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post

Though it's not clear from the article, if Celebrity was included in the ban with RCI. It may be, or maybe not, as I noticed that though Carnival was banned, Holland America (owned by Carnival Corp) was not.

Carnival was also outside of the prime time, and the more restrictive timeframes, since they only sailed Glacier Bay in May and Sept.

This season, it's the same, from looking quick and the regular "in season" run has Tracy Arm transits.
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I decided on the NCL Norwegian Pearl June 5, 2011 sailing.

**edited by moderator