CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Alaska cruise in September 2010 ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/373564-alaska-cruise-september-2010-a.html)

kruz1 April 29th, 2010 06:28 PM

Alaska cruise in September 2010 ?

I am tentatively planning to book an Alaskan cruise in mid September on the Princess line. It would leave from Seattle, 4 ports and returns back to Seattle after 7 days. I looked at a weather website and it shows the average high/lows are high 60's to low 40's, also, Sept and Oct are the rainiest months of the year. Can anyone give me some advice as to whether this time of year is favorable or not or will it be too rainy and cold?
Any other tips about the Princess line? The cruise stops in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay and Victoria BC, but not in Sitka, are we missing anything. Any recommendations for the stops with respect to tours, excursions, what to do in the towns? Thanks for any info.

Donna April 29th, 2010 07:16 PM

I did an Alaska cruise once in the beginning of Sept. and was actually suprised at how nice it was. We actually had a day above 70, sunny and beautiful. Of course we did see rain, so expect that for sure. You just never know about the weather, you have to pretty much expect anything. Absolutely beautiful country, enjoy!

Mike M April 29th, 2010 07:57 PM

I also cruised in mid-September. We had great weather and it was fairly warm. Upper 50's and low 60's. The only day we had rain was in Juneau and I was happy I had a rain suit for our whale watching excursion.

Predicting the weather is something that not even the professionals do too well so it's hard to say what the weather will be like five months from now but September is a rainy period but it doesn't mean that it will rain all the time.

Take care,
Mike

Karen16 April 30th, 2010 09:04 AM

I am going to talk on averages. There is a BIG difference between the begining of Sept. mentioned above and mid Sept. NO comparism.

Averages- you are going during the worse potential weather of the Alaska season- mid Sept. You can expect, on AVERAGE 3 days of rain, temps 40-60, dusk WILL by by 7pm. So if you have an afternoon arrival, it will be significant. A few tours will NOT be running- glacier dog sledding, bear tours, likely.

This is based on my FIRST hand Alaska travels since 1994- 26 trips. I used to pick up these mid Sept trips- but always as my second and one time third trip of the season. Always, the earlier trips were better. Reason, I went- the discounts were signficant- $350/400 range. The discounts are not signficant enough for me to now consider them, so I do not go past the first week.

You do need to be WELL prepared in your attire, if you continue with this timeframe, necessary is good rain gear (I take rain pants and waterproof foot wear). you need 2 pair of walking shoes, layers, water resistant jacket, hat, gloves. And the acceptance of the worse potential. :)

Karen16 April 30th, 2010 09:06 AM

Well, yes, certainly you are "missing" something, there isn't a cruise that this isn't the case. :)

You need to do your homework first, find out about the ports, and what they offer. Then, narrow down your interests, and repost. There are hundreds of tours to consider, few that aren't worthwhile.

azappraiser May 2nd, 2010 09:03 AM

re September cruise

I suggest contacting the tourist bureau in each of the ports you'll be visiting. They'll be happy to send you free information on their towns and the surrounding areas. All of the brochures list their local businesses by catagory, along with web site and email contact information.

Having some additional information in hand upon arrival in port may help you maximize your limited time by knowing where you're going before you get there.

Karen16 May 2nd, 2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azappraiser (Post 1289648)
I suggest contacting the tourist bureau in each of the ports you'll be visiting. They'll be happy to send you free information on their towns and the surrounding areas. All of the brochures list their local businesses by catagory, along with web site and email contact information.

Having some additional information in hand upon arrival in port may help you maximize your limited time by knowing where you're going before you get there.

www.traveljuneau.com www.skagway.com www.visit-ketchikan.com

Also head to your library and take out Alaska travel books.

TheBoatCompany May 6th, 2010 11:07 PM

Eco Tourism

Ecotourism is responsible travel to natural areas while preserving the environment and improving the well-being of local people. Alaska is the prime year-round destination for visitors seeking a more personal connection with nature, culture and wilderness.

The Boat Company |

dmaikui May 10th, 2010 06:38 PM

Myself and my husband prefer Skagway to Sitka, but I did enjoy Sitka the two times we were there just not that much to do. Skagway seemed to have more to do. September weather is pretty rainy, we prefer May. Make sure you book a cabin with a balcony or higher to get the best exposure to the scenery. Alaska is beautiful rain or shine. That is why we've been 6 times you will definately enjoy.

alasbound May 16th, 2010 02:56 AM

We went in early September and had wonderful weather, even sunshine & 70's in Ketchikan. Rain had been forecast for our week, and the weeks & after, had tons of rain. I agree that you must be prepared for alot of rain in September. There were less people & ships still in Alaska, which was great, but alot the tours were closing up for the season. There were alot of great sales on souvineers.

If there is anything specific that you want to do or see, that might dictate the time to travel. More snow & baby animals in May, for example, but we were able to get close to glacier with many baby seals, that was closed until September to protect the baby seals.

Juneau has some great whale watching tours. Skagway has some wonderful trips to the Yukon (by rental car, bus, train or bus/train combo).

alasbound May 16th, 2010 02:58 AM

Princess also has Libby Riddles speak on the cruises, which we really enjoyed.

Donna May 16th, 2010 07:42 PM

I too enjoyed hearing her speak. I think most ships in Alaska try to have a naturalist onboard once they are up there, she was especially good.

Karen16 May 17th, 2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1292123)
I too enjoyed hearing her speak. I think most ships in Alaska try to have a naturalist onboard once they are up there, she was especially good.

Not NCL, or RCI. They may have some "lecturers", but I have not encountered any high quality ones. HAL, Carnival and Princess, have excellent qualified, full time, ship naturalists. Celebrity, brings on naturalists on some ships, and decent lecturers- but it can be hit or miss.

"Murray" "Yukon" is actually is on a Celebrity ship this week as the naturalist on board. But will be disembarking after this single cruise.