Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Beginner

Default cheapest way from vancouver to seattle

ship docks in vancouver, but we are flying out the next afternoon out of Seattle. I see it will be quite expensive to rent a car in vancouver and drop it in Seattle. If I take the train, I would only be able to take the evening one, where is the train station in Seattle. Is it close to any decent hotels with transfers to the airport? What would you suggest to do in Vancouver? We have two teenage boys. Also , How is the Amtrak bus, compared to other bus companies. If we decide on a shuttle bus, which one would drop us off in the best location in Seattle (hotel area). Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Admiral

A car rental, is likely to be your best bet, especially with the avialablity to do some great touring along the way. I have rented from Budget, Alamo, Avis, National. There is also Hertz. You want a downtown Vancouver pick up.

As for Amtrak, the only "cheap" transfer is the light rail, not a "hotel" area by the Amtrak Seattle station. If you need a cab, it's about $35+++ to Seatac. The bus, is a bus. There is also Quick Shuttle.

You have a whole day that a car rental would be beneficial for, allow plenty more lodging and meal options as well as making good use of your time.

What are you considering anyway, at this point?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Beginner

I rented a car from Avis. From their Vancouver West Side location. Do you know how far this is from the Canada Place terminal, do they offer a shuttle pick up? I am returning the car the following morning to their Renton location, in the Seattle area. Looks to be the closest to the airport, without actually being at the airport. Am thinking of booking with the Embassy suites, Renton. They would give free shuttle to the airport and I think free shuttle back from the Avis rental place. So far this is what I'm thinking.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Admiral

NOPE- wrong location, that isn't going to send a shuttle. You want the Hornby location in Vancouver.

You need to make your inquires direct with the hotel in Seattle.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Beginner

The cars at the Hornby location are $50 more. So I'm staying with the W. Vancouver location, they said it is 2 1/2 miles away. The Hotel in Renton (embassy suites) does offer free shuttle from Avis and the airport. Yea!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Admiral

It is probably still cheaper to rent in Vancouver . Have you checked the rates at the Vancouver Airport. If you use the W Vancouver site , you are going have to leave everyone at the terminal and one adult go to the rental location. You will probably lost 1 - 3 hrs of time getting to/from West Vancouver. The rush hour traffic is a very bad.
traffic to West vancouver uses only 1 lane during morning rush. I lived in Vancouver for almost 30 years and the traffic is worse everytime I'm back.
The extra $50 might be worth it , if it saves you 1-2 hours of travel to just
to pick up the car.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess