Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Passenger

Default OK, narrowed it down...will this cruise be ok for us?

Been planning an Alaskan cruise for myself, Mom, and Grandma, and the TA came back today with a cruise that meets most of our criteria. Unfortunately it's not on HAL like we had hoped, rather it's on a Celebrity cruise instead, on The Infinity.

So, considering we were hoping for HAL, will this Celebrity cruise be comparable and appropriate for my 86 yo Grandmother who has some Parkinson's complications? It looks like we've been able to secure a handicap room until this Thurs.

And more specifically, on the room...our TA is quoting us for the handicap room number 7143 2A, which has a balcony as requested. Because all three of us will be staying there I was hoping for something around 300 sq ft. But with a price of $4100 for all three of us I'm imagining that this room may be a bit small. And for some reason I can't find specifics on this room from Celebrity's website. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has access possibly to information on how big this room is? I had told my TA our budget for the room was $5500 and really I was hoping for something like a deluxe veranda.

Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My first Alaska cruise was on Infinity and I loved it. What is the itinary she's doing?? Does it go from Vancouver?? Should be a wonderful cruise, not sure about your cabin, but it should be Ok for 3...Those cabins are few and hard to get sometimes.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Admiral

bradleyheathhays,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Been planning an Alaskan cruise for myself, Mom, and Grandma, and the TA came back today with a cruise that meets most of our criteria. Unfortunately it's not on HAL like we had hoped, rather it's on a Celebrity cruise instead, on The Infinity.

So, considering we were hoping for HAL, will this Celebrity cruise be comparable and appropriate for my 86 yo Grandmother who has some Parkinson's complications? It looks like we've been able to secure a handicap room until this Thurs.
I think that the cruise and the ship will be fine. Just be aware that Celebrity is a very traditional cruise line that still hosts true "formal" evenings, for which you will need to dress appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And more specifically, on the room...our TA is quoting us for the handicap room number 7143 2A, which has a balcony as requested. Because all three of us will be staying there I was hoping for something around 300 sq ft.
Cabin #7143 is indeed a Category 2A "Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Veranda" located just aft of the amidships lifts on the Vista Deck (Deck 7) of GTS Celebrity Infinity. The deck plan indicates that this cabin also has a sleeper sofa, which your cabins steward will open and make up for a third passenger in the evening and close in the morning for seating during the daytime. Unfortunately, Celebrity's web site does not provide diagrams of the ADA cabins.

Cabins aboard cruise ships are notoriously compact (a standard "veranda" cabin is about 190-195 square feet, including the veranda), but "deluxe" cabins are typically a bit larger. ADA handicapped cabins are about 50% larger than regular to provide room to maneuver a wheelchair. Space-wise, the ADA deluxe cabin actually may be larger than your figure of 300 square feet.

That said, you probably won't be hanging out in your cabin when you are aboard ship because there's plenty of other places to go and things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I had told my TA our budget for the room was $5500 and really I was hoping for something like a deluxe veranda.
And that's exactly what you got!

Y'all have a fantastic cruise!

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Not sure how dress code worked it's way into this thread

I'm assuming you wanted something like the Deluxe Veranda Suites on HAL. Sadly a 2A is nothing like it.

You said you were originally wanting HAL, what made you pick Celebrity?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post

And more specifically, on the room...our TA is quoting us for the handicap room number 7143 2A, which has a balcony as requested. Because all three of us will be staying there I was hoping for something around 300 sq ft. But with a price of $4100 for all three of us I'm imagining that this room may be a bit small. And for some reason I can't find specifics on this room from Celebrity's website. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has access possibly to information on how big this room is? I had told my TA our budget for the room was $5500 and really I was hoping for something like a deluxe veranda.

Thanks for all your help!
Bradley,

You should make yourself aware of the many past problems with the Celebrity Infinity. In the past there have been more than seven occurrences of propulsion problems with this particular Celebrity ship. While any ship can have an isolated problem at one time or another the Celebrity Infinity along with the Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity Summit has had a long history of this problem.

If I lived in Florida and was going on a Caribbean cruise it would not bother me too much but on a cruise to Alaska, I would not be willing to take a chance on missing any part of my itinerary.

For more information just do a search on the Internet or on the Celebrity site on this board on "POD problems".

Good luck and I hope you have a good cruise no mater what you decide to do.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Bradley,
For more information just do a search on the Internet or on the Celebrity site on this board on "POD problems".

Good luck and I hope you have a good cruise no mater what you decide to do.

Debra
Ya, do a search of POD problems and you'll find 8200 posts by Debra
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Captain

My post was in direct response to a question posed by another cruiser. This is an information site after all and snide comments aside, if the OP or anyone else is actually serious about finding out more information about this problem, that some try so hard to diminish, please just do a Google search on "Mermaid Pods" and you will find out a lot about the recurring problems with Celebrity Infinity, Millennium and Summit over the past nine years.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean cruise lines (RCL) who owns Celebrity cruise lines has settled a lawsuit with Rolls-Royce company and it included improving the propulsion systems on these ships. Below is a link to the article. I would not let the past issues of these propulsion system impact if this is the ship for you.
Royal Caribbean and R-R settle pod lawsuit

I did find this interesting thread that tracks different handicap accessible rooms on the different cruise lines.Photos of Handicap Accessible Cabins - Cruise Line Fans: Cruise Forum, Reviews and Chat From Real Cruisers

I could not find pictures of your cabin. Here our some of Infinity handicap accessible cabins 6004 and 6005 these are ocean view cabins. But it will give you are idea of the floor space. Here are links to the photo galleries I found these pictures on. I hope that helps put your mind at ease.
Cruise Ship Pictures - CruiseMates Cruise Photos Gallery
Cruise Ship Pictures - CruiseMates Cruise Photos Gallery

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; June 2nd, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Great pics Kat, shows plenty of floor space.

Message Boards Moderator