Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Familiar Face

Default Sportfishing (Salmon) excursion Feedback

We are cruising Inside Passage May 2011 (7-day cruise) and are looking for feedback from those of you who did salmon fishing and which company you would recommend, which port (Ketchikan-Sun, Juneau-Mon or Skagway-Tue), or if timing it later in the week is better in case we catch anything we will hopefully be home by the time it arrives or if it arrives before us, it won't be waiting too long (it's a Fri-Fri cruise).

Teresa
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

I have done some additional research and found that Ketchikan appears to be the best port to go salmon fishing (the fact it is the Salmon Capitol of the World should have been a clue). Does anyone have any recommendations on charters? How about the process/timeframes sending your catch home? All info is greatly appreciated.

Teresa
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Ketchikan is definitely the right port for salmon fishing. I just got back from a 7 day cruise on Sapphire Princess and chartered a salmon trip with Avid Angler Charters. Larry Wiseman is the guide and is a local in town. He knows the spots and we caught plenty of salmon (largest fish around 12 lbs). We did catch and release -- did not bring anything home. My wife and I are on a careful budget and Larry's rates are VERY reasonable.
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you Pelagic for the great information! Did you book with Avid Anglers before you cruised or did you find him when you hit the port? We don't have the minimum persons and I am reluctant to book beforehand in case we are unable to find the another person to do this with us. Also, did you see any whales while you were fishing?