Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

Default Formal nights on Princess?

Does anyone know which nights will be Formal Nights for a RT Inside Passage to Alaska on Princess? I called the cruiseline and they said they never know ahead of time when it will be. I'm trying to figure out if I need to bother with Formal night at all, since we've booked two excursions that will have us out in the evenings.

The cruise agent did say that they're typically on the 2nd night of cruising and the last night of cruising. This would mean I would only be around for one of the nights, so I'm not sure if I'll even bother, as I would need to go buy a new outfit. Here's our itinerary out of Seattle on August 7th:

SAT08/07/10 SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, USA
DEPART 4:00PM CHECK IN 12:00PM-3:00PM

SUN08/08/10AT SEA

MON08/09/10 JUNEAU, ALASKA, USA ARRIVE 12:00PM DEPART 10:00PM

TUE08/10/10 SKAGWAY, ALASKA, USA ARRIVE 6:00AM DEPART 8:15PM

WED08/11/10 GLACIER BAY CRUISING, ALASKA, USA ARRIVE 6:00AM DEPART 3:00PM SCENIC CRUISING

THU08/12/10 KETCHIKAN, ALASKA, USA ARRIVE 7:00AM DEPART 12:30PM

FRI08/13/10 VICTORIA, B.C., CANADA ARRIVE 7:00PM DEPART 11:59PM

SAT08/14/10 SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, USA
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
Does anyone know which nights will be Formal Nights for a RT Inside Passage to Alaska on Princess? I called the cruiseline and they said they never know ahead of time when it will be. I'm trying to figure out if I need to bother with Formal night at all, since we've booked two excursions that will have us out in the evenings.

The cruise agent did say that they're typically on the 2nd night of cruising and the last night of cruising. This would mean I would only be around for one of the nights, so I'm not sure if I'll even bother, as I would need to go buy a new outfit. Here's our itinerary out of Seattle on August 7th:

SUN08/08/10AT SEA

WED08/11/10 GLACIER BAY CRUISING, ALASKA, USA ARRIVE 6:00AM DEPART 3:00PM SCENIC CRUISING

Hi Flying Beagle,

I have never heard of formal night taking place on the last night of any cruise, since bags must be packed and out in the passage way for pick-up in the early evening.

In looking at your itinerary my bet would be that the formal nights will be on Sunday and on Thursday, with an outside chance that the second formal night will be on Wednesday. The formal nights on all the ships that I have sailed never take place while the ship is still in port.

Hope this helps,

Enjoy your cruise to Alaska, as you are in for a real treat.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post

SUN08/08/10AT SEA Probably Formal was on the Island in May 10

Probably this will be formal night

Day selected based on our Island Princess to Alaska

in May 2010

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Flying Beagle,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post

SUN08/08/10AT SEA

I'm not sure whether you misunderstood your travel agent or your travel agent misspoke, but the first and last evenings of a cruise are always "casual" evenings. On the first evening, luggage sometimes does not get delivered to staterooms in time for passengers to dress. And on the last evening, passengers have to pack their luggage and put it out for collection in preparation for disembarkation.

On cruises with two (2) "formal" evenings, they are almost always on the second evening (Captain's official "Welcome Aboard!") and the next to last evening (Captain's official "Farewell!"). I see nothing in your itinerary that would suggest a departure from this practice since you'll be at sea on the entire second day and on the afternoon and evening of the next to last day (before disembarkation).

BTW, Princess always breaks out the best menus in the main dining room on the "formal" evenings. Also, you don't have to wear a full-length evening dress. A nice cocktail dress that you can also wear to weddings and other social functions and such would be quite acceptable. If cost is an issue, check the consignment shops and thrift shops in your area. These shops usually have an inventory of dresses that have been worn only once or twice, and thus have a lot of useful life, for a fraction of the normal retail price.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, its usually the 2nd night out and the next to last night for the formal evenings...The first and last are almost always casual evenings.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, its usually the 2nd night out and the next to last night for the formal evenings...The first and last are almost always casual evenings.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Beginner

Default formal nights

YOu are getting the best information and advice from the travelers that have replied to you. They are correct. The cruise line or your TA must have mis-understood. Formal nights are never the first night due to the luggage being delivered to your cabin issue. Formal nights are not quite as formal as they used to be. This does not mean you can wear something that you would have worn on a normal evening, but If you have never cruised before I would reccommend that you participate in the formal evenings. The food is usually better that night and the best shows are usually that night. I have cruised many times and now I just wear a nice dark suit with tie-I don't do the tux thing anymore. I reccommend that you be comfortable, but do wear something special. You do not have to spend a ton of money to look nice. Ladies can wear a nice dress and gentlemen can wear a nice suit and tie. Besides, you will be dining with strangers-they will not know if you have worn that dress before!