Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default Inside passage ?'s

I am not meaning to be critical as I assume they have to time the travel to depart and arrive at the ports just right but:

How much of the true classic Inside Passage do we miss because they traverse it at night?

I know there is more light at these latitudes but a lot of it is missed in the dark I would assume.

Thanks, Robert
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Robert,
I have taken two "inside" passage cruises, one that left from Vancouver and one from Seattle...Both were totally different. It seems the one leaving from Seattle, at least to me, was anything but inside...The trip from Vancouver was breathtaking and it would be the only way I go, if I'm lucky enough to go again.

What ship are you cruising on and where does it depart from?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Familiar Face

Want to book again but haven't yet.

Went two years ago on Golden out of Seattle and went outside of Vancouver Island. We wish to try the true inside passage out of Vancouver.

But they traverse at night. Just asking how much we miss doing that?

Robert
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Robert,
You get so much during the day, I wouldn't worry about what you miss at night, I'd tell you, but I couldn't see.....You are still fairly close to land during the night, but the views in the daylight are amazing...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Captain

I agree with Donna when she said that you really don't miss that much when traveling at night.

I also agree that going out of Vancouver is the best way to go. Also, if you had the time a one-way cruise and spending a week on land is also a very enjoyable way to see Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Familiar Face

Tour then cruise...this is a vey good idea. We are seriously thinking of Fairbanks first then cruise last....resting up before heading home.

Thanks for the help.

Robert
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Beginner

Just got back for 7 day cruise from Seattle. West side (ocean side) of Vancouver Island was windy and rough as was our exit out of Skagway into open ocean. Crew taped "barf bags" on elevator entry points. We wil go out of Vancouver (city) next time. No you do not miss much at night. Find a cruise that includes the Tracy Arm.....that was amazing!
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Well, yes, certainly you "miss" what you are traveling at night. BUT, you do have daylight cruising of northern Vancouver Island, and the Queen Charlottes during the northbound trip, and can have scenic sailing the entire day, going southbound. But, there is NO fixed routing or time, they can and do vary a great deal. I have been on cruises where they were all the way to Vancouver by 10pm, others, it's dark by Campbell River.

It is imperative, you do your homework. Every cruise is a compromise. Find out about routes, glaciers, ports. I frequently find, people having problems, and making "mistakes" with interior Alaska Travel. Make SURE, you want to "go" to Fairbanks, and know what is available how to spend your time.