Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Familiar Face

Default Anyone been to Prudhoe Bay and/or Coldfoot?

Some cruisetours go there...just wondering?
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I dont know anyone who has ever been up there. Alaska is bigger than it looks

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

My mom & dad drove to Prudhoe Bay (from Indiana) a few years ago. No real reason, just wanted to drive as far as they could. I do not remember them saying much about it. Must have been like the famous Hawaii "Road to Hana" it is not the destination but the drive.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Familiar Face

Just thinking about this. One cruisetour, for about $800 each person, flies you from Anchorage to Prudhoe and buses you back to Fairbanks with overnighters in Prudhoe and Coldfoot. May just hitch with a trucker....

I agree that the drive is probably what this is all about. I love to drive so will look into that.

Thanks for the posts

Robert
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Passenger

I think people go there just to say they have been to the Arctic Circle - gives them bragging rights.

Saw a picture of the facilities at Coldfoot - and they were nothing to write home about.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
Saw a picture of the facilities at Coldfoot - and they were nothing to write home about.
QFT! Just a small upgrade above USMC accomadations in the late 60's and about $219.00 a night. But at least they do tell you exactly what they are....old workers' quarters.
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've never heard of it either, sounds pricey....Could be interesting too? Let us know what you actually decide to do.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Familiar Face

will do tanx
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I dont know anyone who has ever been up there. Alaska is bigger than it looks

Well, I have been to Coldfoot/Wiseman twice.

I will be doing Prudhoe next June.

For clarification- I would never ride the Haul Road twice. Flying one way and going by road the other is a far better option. Most people have no clue, HOW remote this is. I have found the cruisetours, the least desirable way to go. Those big buses have the least flexability. Superior are the independent tour options, going in smaller groups, usually shuttle vans, and they have excellent guides and a well run itinerary. The lodging at Coldfoot, is very very basic, excellent food. Unprepared are shell shocked sometimes. (I've seen them unloading the tour buses, gasping with their mouths open).

IF you want to see the Arctic circle, there are excellent day trips to consider from Fairbanks, that fly into Coldfoot and van back. Great commentary in both directions, with plenty of stops along the way, including at the Arctic Circle (which is south of Coldfoot). It is a VERY boring ride in many sections. Miles and miles and miles of forest fires/charcoled trees.

This is NOT a do it yourself "drive" and none of the major car rentals will allow the drive. There is an independent company in Fairbanks, that does have SUV's/jeeps etc. You MUST be totally self sufficient, able to change tires, problem solve mechanic issues and accepting that the trucks "own" the road- you pull over, and ALWAYS allow them priority. No cell service in many areas. And overall, not a sound choice for most people.