Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default Need Anchorage lodging help

We are doing a week before our cruise in 2011 and have all the lodging figured out except Anchorage. We need a nice but cheap place because we are only going to be there the day we fly in and the last day before boarding the ship. Don't need a $200 room or dump that needs police protection. Just a OK place, you know like Motel 6 or 8 but nicer!
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
EB

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Admiral

ejb,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
We are doing a week before our cruise in 2011 and have all the lodging figured out except Anchorage. We need a nice but cheap place because we are only going to be there the day we fly in and the last day before boarding the ship. Don't need a $200 room or dump that needs police protection. Just a OK place, you know like Motel 6 or 8 but nicer!
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
First, you won't find a "dump that needs police protection" anywhere in or around Anchorage. The city is quite safe, so you can walk anywhere at night. Even a Motel 6 there would be fine.

Second, for the night before embarkation, I strongly recommend booking a one-night hotel package through your cruise line, as this package includes the transfer to the ship. You can drop the rest of your party and your luggage at the hotel, which will be in the downtown area, and check in the rental car a day early, perhaps saving a few bucks -- certainly enough to cover the taxi back to the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants and attractions within easy walking distance of all the downtown hotels, so you really won't need a rental car while you are in the city.

Third, for the first night, it's a toss-up. Most of the major hotel companies have one brand or another in the downtown area. The cheap hotels tend to be a two or three blocks further from the central downtown area (which is basically between Third Avenue and Seventh Avenue and between B Street and K Street, give or take a block or two -- the roadways in the downtown area form a rectangular grid with consecutiely lettered "streets" running north-south and consecutively numbered "avenues" running east-west). Staying at the cheap hotels basically means that you'll have to walk a couple blocks further to go to dinner, but the blocks are pretty small.

There is another consideration here. The more expensive hotels might have airport shuttles, which would save you the taxi fare to go from the airport to the hotel. If you are arriving in the afternoon, this would let ou pick up your rental car in town (lower rate, no airport facility charge, and possibly lower tax) on the morning after your arrival (also saving a day's rental, plus the associated taxes and fees). Thus, the premium hotel may well be the less expensive option overall.

Norm.

Last edited by Rev22:17; September 21st, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Familiar Face

First of all thank you for your response.
I only used the "police protect" phrase to make a point not to put Anchorage down in any way.
The first night a Motel 8 or 6 is fine with me but the reviews I have found make them seem like dumps. We are not taveling to Alaska for the lodging but for the beauty! Don't plan on staying in the room any longer than we have to.
We already have a transfer to the ship with our cruise so don't need the one night package.
We are going to return our car the night we get back before the cruise so that savings is already in the plans.
The shuttle thing is a good point. I will make my search include only motels with shuttles.
Have you stayed at any of the Motel 6 or 8 type places and if you did what did you think about them.
Thanks
Eldon

Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Eldon,

Quote:
First of all thank you for your response.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I only used the "police protect" phrase to make a point not to put Anchorage down in any way.
Understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We already have a transfer to the ship with our cruise so don't need the one night package.
In that case, the cruise line would credit one or the other if you book a hotel through the ship. The salient point is that if you buy the hotel package, the transfer would leave from your hotel rather than from some other location (typically either the Egan Center downtown or the airport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Have you stayed at any of the Motel 6 or 8 type places and if you did what did you think about them.
The only hotel where I have stayed in Anchorage is the Hilton, which I booked through my cruise line. IIRC, there is a rental car company right in that hotel so you could pick up and drop off right there.

I did walk by the Days Inn, which is about three blocks east of the main downtown area on Fifth Avenue, and the Hotel Captain Cook, which is at the west end of the downtown area on Fifth Avenue, when I was there five years ago. Both looked like decent properties. (The north-south streets to the east of A Street have names of Alaskan cities in alphabetical order beginning with B -- Barrow Street, Cordova Street, Denali Street, Eagle Street, Fairbanks Street, etc. The Days Inn is at the corner of 5th Avenue and Cordova Street.)

Norm.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Familiar Face

How do you get the hotel set up thru the cruise line? I did not see that on the Princess website. Do they pick the hotel or do I pick it?
Eldon

Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Familiar Face

I checked today and the only package for hotels for my cruise is at the end of the cruise not the beginning. I found lodging with Clarion Suites the first day we are there and Coastal International Inn the night before the cruise. Both about $140 and include shuttle sevice. I found out that June 2nd is the date that everything doubles in price for the summer season, no deals. Hope what I picked is good because it is done.
Thanks
EB

Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Eldon,

Quote:
How do you get the hotel set up thru the cruise line? I did not see that on the Princess website. Do they pick the hotel or do I pick it?
Most cruise lines offer both pre-cruise and post-cruise packages of one to three nights at each of three or four hotels.

Since you have booked your cruise nearly a year in advance, the cruise line probably has not announced its pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I found lodging with Clarion Suites the first day we are there and Coastal International Inn the night before the cruise. Both about $140 and include shuttle sevice. I found out that June 2nd is the date that everything doubles in price for the summer season, no deals. Hope what I picked is good because it is done.
All that matters is that you are happy with your choices.

Norm.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Norm.
We have been able to find all of our lodging and it is booked and now on to the fun stuff.
EB

Old October 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

I never recommend booking cruisehotels. The costs are significantly more, compared to booking independent, as they are per person rates. It is simple to arrange your own transportation to the ship.

I have stayed at the Days Inn, it is very basic, but clean and safe, sometimes cheap. Comfort Inn is very good, and an excellent location near the train station, which is an excellent option for ship transfers.

Also try Priceline.
Old October 31st, 2010, 12:52 AM
Passenger

Dont know if you are ok with B&B's but we found some that we are think about ranging from $75 / night to 130!!! and they all have great reviews. check out tripadvisor and look at the B&B's will save tons of money and be more personal. The way we see it is who better to learn about alaska than to stay with one?
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Familiar Face

We looked at B&Bs and decided we would not be able to enjoy them because we are looking for a place to sleep and then leave early, missing breakfast that most are known for. We have found our lodging now and it is all booked.
Since we are doing a self driving type tour we want to get on the road early each day.
Thanks
EB