Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Victoria

I am going on an Alaskan cruise in May and one of our stops is in Victoria. We arrive at 7pm and leave around midnight. My husband and I are not really into structured tours, so we were kind of looking for things to do on our own. What would you say is a must see in Victoria that we could tour on our own. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Talking Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepumpkin View Post
I am going on an Alaskan cruise in May and one of our stops is in Victoria. We arrive at 7pm and leave around midnight. My husband and I are not really into structured tours, so we were kind of looking for things to do on our own. What would you say is a must see in Victoria that we could tour on our own. Thank you in advance!
Victoria is not too good a place to just tour on your own. The ship docks pretty far from downtown. I think there may be a shuttle -- on day stops there is, but not sure at night. You could just go downtown, walk around a bit, and be sure to visit the Empress Hotel, a beautiful old landmark.

A wonderful company is Classic Car Tours http://www.classiccartours.com/ You can rent things from a Model T to a Cadillac convertible and be driven around at your own pace. Check out our trip report and pictures at Radiance of the Seas Pictures

Butchart Gardens is one of the major attractions of Victoria and can be very pretty on an evening tour, which your ship will probably offer. Normally the bus will take you there and then you will simply be turned loose to explore the gardens on your own.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Butchart Gardens is one of the major attractions of Victoria and can be very pretty on an evening tour, which your ship will probably offer. Normally the bus will take you there and then you will simply be turned loose to explore the gardens on your own.

Have a GREAT cruise!
To tag onto lovepumpkin's post, we also will be in Victoria in May (same cruise - Infinity?). How is Butchart Gardens in mid-May? According to their web site, there should be plently of spring flowers, but I would like confirmation from someone that has been there in May.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Talking Butchart in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post
To tag onto lovepumpkin's post, we also will be in Victoria in May (same cruise - Infinity?). How is Butchart Gardens in mid-May? According to their web site, there should be plently of spring flowers, but I would like confirmation from someone that has been there in May.
Gorgeous in May!!

The tulips are particularly stunning, and many of the trees are in blossom.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/paccoast.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Gorgeous in May!!

The tulips are particularly stunning, and many of the trees are in blossom.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/paccoast.html

Have a GREAT cruise!
Thanks Mike!

Very nice web page!
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Butchart Gardens are a must

Epress Hotel

Parliament
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Default Downtown Victoria is close to docks

I live in Victoria and we have scheduled 210 ships for the 2011 season docking at Ogden Point.
It is true your choices are limited when you are in for part of the day versa a full day.
- Downtown Victoria in May is lovely spring weather with Sun much like Seattle and Vancouver.
- Downtown Victoria is a short walk from the docks in a safe residential / commercial area and takes about 30 minutes walking. A map shows the route.
- A nice coffee shop called Ogden Point Café is a 3-5 minute walk from the furtherest pier ( we have four piers) allowing you to see the seaside and ships.
- A shuttle bus will run during the time you are docked
- Taxis and limos and tour buses including the Ships tours are available at the main docking area
- Tours by horse drawn carriages and pedal carts are available
- A dive shop is right beside the café and a walkway along the seaside runs fro almost two miles plus Beacon Hill park is nearby with a petting zoo and children's play area.

As mentioned prior, if you are in town for a limited time as in 7pm to midnight that means you will be off the ship by 7;30pm and normally must be on board by 11:30pm. In those cases I'd take a local tour of the area by taxi or carriage or the shuttle bus to downtown for some shopping, shops will close around 9pm though bars are open.
Take a ships tour is the better option to the landmarks like Butchart Gardens or Craigdaroch castle or the Inner Harbour .

For all day stops than you can take your own tours or a mix of ships tours or rent a car or taxi , whatever

We do have a very beautiful city , we are a safe place to walk around in though as anywhere leave your gold chains on the ship, you get my meaning
Have a great cruise and come back afterwards
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; January 27th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Admiral

lovepumpkin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you View Post
This sounds like it's really just a stop to meet the legal requirement of the U. S. Passenger Services Act on a cruise that operates round trip out of Seattle. The Passenger Services Act requires at least one call in a foreign port on any cruise operated round trip out of a U. S. port on a vessel of foreign flag, unless the cruise has no ports of call. The practical reality is that you'll miss dinner on the ship if you go ashore -- though you will have about four hours to spend ashore, which is plenty of time to do some shopping and get dinner, if the ship arrives on time.

Norm.
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
First Mate

Default Time to eat on ship

Yes,
Depending on their supper time or venue, they have time to eat supper as that is the last night on board unless it is going to San Francisco in a 10 day trip.
Yes, depending on the starting point of the cruise, Victoria is a port to stop at and majority of ships do stop for the day.
Vancouver is both a port to stop in or board and debark much like Seattle.
Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
Above is the link to the Port Schedule for 2011, all 210 ships visits

Ensenada , Baja Mexico is another stop as you put it for majority of lines not registered in the US doing the Pacific round trip or Hawaii from a home port in the States.
Per our replies to her above, lots to do aside from shopping
Cheers
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We had a stop there too a few years ago, again later in the day like that. Ended up doing an Orca sightseeing tour that was great, although it was freezing. Thank God they had heavy parka's onboard, we all put them on, but we saw tons of Orca's, it was GREAT! Then, I don't recall exactly what was going on, but they set fireworks off that nite, so it was great being on deck and watching fireworks.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
We had a stop there too a few years ago, again later in the day like that. Ended up doing an Orca sightseeing tour that was great, although it was freezing. Thank God they had heavy parka's onboard, we all put them on, but we saw tons of Orca's, it was GREAT! Then, I don't recall exactly what was going on, but they set fireworks off that nite, so it was great being on deck and watching fireworks.
Donna,
You have Independence Day (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for July 4th
while we have Canada Day on July 1st
Canada Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, that was your fireworks most likely as in Victoria we have to fund this onetime a year event and sometimes do not have all the monies needed.
You probably saw lots of people downtown and on the shoreline.
Btb: we are taught about both countries in our schools.
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. We have early dinning so we'd probably be done with dinner around the time that we dock. I was wondering if this would be the only port where I stay on the ship since it doesn't seem like that long of a stay. Or maybe I'll just take a walk like robh suggested! Thanks again everyone!
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Familiar Face

Rob - Thanks for the note! I've never seen a comment like that for the short time our ship is in port. We're on the Golden for the same amount of time as the OP. We have late dining and I get the feeling we may skip the dining room that night to see some of your city.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artrina View Post
Rob - Thanks for the note! I've never seen a comment like that for the short time our ship is in port. We're on the Golden for the same amount of time as the OP. We have late dining and I get the feeling we may skip the dining room that night to see some of your city.
Thanks Artrina
Glad to have helped. If any questions , send me a note /Rob
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:47 PM
First Mate

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post
I live in Victoria and we already have flowers coming thru the ground. In fact at this time of year we have an annual flower count to make people mad in the East.
Victoria Flower Count

So, in May , you will see a lot of blooming flowers