Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default pre-cruise in Anchorage

I'm going southbound on RC in September, we will be flying into Anchorage a day early and taking the train to Seward the next morning. We're looking at the Anchorage Grand Hotel for the overnight. Anyone have any experience with them? Any ideas for a better place? It seems that no one has free shuttles from the airport, or to the train station.
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Spence,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you View Post
I'm going southbound on RC in September, we will be flying into Anchorage a day early and taking the train to Seward the next morning. We're looking at the Anchorage Grand Hotel for the overnight. Anyone have any experience with them? Any ideas for a better place? It seems that no one has free shuttles from the airport, or to the train station.
I'm not familiar with that specific hotel, but I do know that the downtown area of Anchorage is roughly between C street and K street and between 3rd Avenue and 8th Avenue. The blocks are pretty small, so it's imminently walkable if you get a hotel in this area.

If it's not too late, I recommend arriving two days early so you'll have a full day in Anchorage. There's a lot to explore right in the downtown area, which also has a lot of great restaurants and shops with products that you won't find anywhere in the "lower forty-eight." It's also quite safe -- one of the lowest crime rates of any major city.

Norm.
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:11 PM
Familiar Face

I haven't checked in here in a while, so I might be too late for your hotel reservations, but the Hilton Garden Inn offers free transfers between airport and downtown and train station.

I haven't stayed there yet, but read good things about it, and we got free rooms with my brothers Hilton Honors points which makes it even better!
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Default Anchorage Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Overnight is okay but thats it . We went to sleep very late and got up very early .
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

They may have free shuttles to the airport, but they are pretty far from downtown....and cabs would be expensive....I think the Grand hotel in Anchorage would be a good bet. It is a smaller hotel but nice....and almost everything is walkable around downtown...It is hard to realize but Anchorage...(the city) is about the size of the state of Delaware.....and except for downtown....it is not a walkable city.....