CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Mendenhall Glacier (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/381819-mendenhall-glacier.html)

reeni April 9th, 2011 11:22 PM

Mendenhall Glacier

Hi,
We're going on a 14 day cruise stating may 27, and I can't wait!
We want to go to Mendenhall Glacier. All the shore excursions that go there also go to other places. We went on one two years ago, but , in my opinion, not enough time was at the glacier.

Are there shuttle busses at the dock that will take people to and from the glacier so that we can spend more than one hour there. We need more time since my husband is handicapped and can't walk fast. By the time we got to the look-out spot it was time to go.:(
We were hoping to be able to take our time and leave when we wanted to.
Thanks.

anniegb April 10th, 2011 04:07 AM

I was there last Sept and there were shuttle buses at the dock then. I spent over 2 hours at the Glacier.

IMHO Mendenhall Glacier is the only reason to get off the ship in Juneau.

Enjoy your cruise.

Annie

Donna April 10th, 2011 07:44 AM

Hi Reeni,
Do you have any other glacier stops during the cruise?? There are quite a lot of good excursions in Juneau...

Tlingit Eagle April 10th, 2011 11:13 PM

Take a cab. There are cabs waiting at the dock when you get off the ship. (I'm from Juneau, so I take a cab out to the airport and rent a car).
Take the cab drivers number so you can call him back around. No worries, the visitor center won't let you be stranded either.
FYI, there's nothing that says you have to stay on the viewing platform. You can walk all the way out to the glacier. Really. It's like a beach walk.
The last time we went, we got there hours before the cruise buses did. I was out next to the waterfall, and looked back at all the tourists on the viewing area. Many came out when they noticed us. The locals go out all time, but you won't see them when the ships are in. It's my favorite place ever.

reeni April 11th, 2011 01:42 AM

Thanks for the replies.

We wanted to walk out to the glacier but we didn't have time. My husband is handicapped,and doesn't walk fast and we didn't want to risk being left and missing the ship.

We'll check out both the cabs and shuttles.

I was in awe when I saw the glacier. It's beautiful and we really want to spend more time there.

Thanks.

Paul Motter April 11th, 2011 11:16 AM

There shoudl be toure busses by independent companies directly to the glaveir when you get off of the ship. Walk a little to the left and find a circular parking area. That is where they pickup. The cost is nominal per person and it goes dirctly to the park.

Contrary to rumor, no city bus goes all the way into the park itself.

It is worth seeing - we had a terrific bear sighting there.

shofer April 11th, 2011 01:01 PM

We also took the bus and I think it was $5/pp each way. The bus comes and goes every 1/2 hour so there was no problem getting back to the ship. We had gone on Celebrity and were in Juneau until 11PM.