CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Interest in alternative shore excursions in Victoria BC? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/382159-interest-alternative-shore-excursions-victoria-bc.html)

tasfalen April 26th, 2011 03:14 PM

Interest in alternative shore excursions in Victoria BC?

Hi! Full disclosure: long-time Victoria resident familiar with all the standard tourist activities here. My wife has been thinking of starting a business, and we'd love to show people some aspects of Victoria that don't usually get covered by the normal tourist routes. We are NOT a business (yet) or an independent tour operator. Just residents with a lot of travel experience under our belt.

In particular, we're thinking of something along the lines of a pub crawl (we did an excellent one in Munich for Oktoberfest last year and Victoria has some excellent brew pubs) or "diners and dives".

I know the stops in Victoria are usually brief, but is this something that anyone would be interested in? like to hear any feedback especially as we start getting the great Summer weather.

MercedMike April 27th, 2011 12:16 PM

Victoria excursions

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasfalen (Post 1368061)
Hi! Full disclosure: long-time Victoria resident familiar with all the standard tourist activities here. My wife has been thinking of starting a business, and we'd love to show people some aspects of Victoria that don't usually get covered by the normal tourist routes. We are NOT a business (yet) or an independent tour operator. Just residents with a lot of travel experience under our belt.

In particular, we're thinking of something along the lines of a pub crawl (we did an excellent one in Munich for Oktoberfest last year and Victoria has some excellent brew pubs) or "diners and dives".

I know the stops in Victoria are usually brief, but is this something that anyone would be interested in? like to hear any feedback especially as we start getting the great Summer weather.

The shore excursion business is a tough place to exist. It is very competitive, and the ships really push their own excursions. The business end of it can be daunting, with things like accepting credit cards, and cancellations and no shows, and so on.

It is my impression that such an excursion as you describe was actually offered by Princess last time we were in Victoria. Have you checked the different cruise line web sites to see what they are pushing?

However, after being discouraging, I do have to say that your idea sounds really interesting, and being guided by experienced locals has a lot going for it. If you can survive on small tour groups, there are many private tours that sort of pick up "cult" status on the boards and attract a regular flow of independent minded cruisers.

Good luck!

joanieg June 18th, 2011 07:32 PM

interested while in Victoria

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasfalen (Post 1368061)

Will be in Victoria on July 8 from 6pm to midnight aboard Celebrity Infinity.
Would be interested in a quote for a 'local tour'. You can reach me at angelstouch_99@yahoo.com until leaving on June 28. Joanie