Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Interest in alternative shore excursions in Victoria BC?

Hi! Full disclosure: long-time Victoria resident familiar with all the standard tourist activities here. My wife has been thinking of starting a business, and we'd love to show people some aspects of Victoria that don't usually get covered by the normal tourist routes. We are NOT a business (yet) or an independent tour operator. Just residents with a lot of travel experience under our belt.

In particular, we're thinking of something along the lines of a pub crawl (we did an excellent one in Munich for Oktoberfest last year and Victoria has some excellent brew pubs) or "diners and dives".

I know the stops in Victoria are usually brief, but is this something that anyone would be interested in? like to hear any feedback especially as we start getting the great Summer weather.
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Question Victoria excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasfalen View Post
Hi! Full disclosure: long-time Victoria resident familiar with all the standard tourist activities here. My wife has been thinking of starting a business, and we'd love to show people some aspects of Victoria that don't usually get covered by the normal tourist routes. We are NOT a business (yet) or an independent tour operator. Just residents with a lot of travel experience under our belt.

In particular, we're thinking of something along the lines of a pub crawl (we did an excellent one in Munich for Oktoberfest last year and Victoria has some excellent brew pubs) or "diners and dives".

I know the stops in Victoria are usually brief, but is this something that anyone would be interested in? like to hear any feedback especially as we start getting the great Summer weather.
The shore excursion business is a tough place to exist. It is very competitive, and the ships really push their own excursions. The business end of it can be daunting, with things like accepting credit cards, and cancellations and no shows, and so on.

It is my impression that such an excursion as you describe was actually offered by Princess last time we were in Victoria. Have you checked the different cruise line web sites to see what they are pushing?

However, after being discouraging, I do have to say that your idea sounds really interesting, and being guided by experienced locals has a lot going for it. If you can survive on small tour groups, there are many private tours that sort of pick up "cult" status on the boards and attract a regular flow of independent minded cruisers.

Good luck!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Familiar Face

Smile interested while in Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasfalen View Post

Will be in Victoria on July 8 from 6pm to midnight aboard Celebrity Infinity.
Would be interested in a quote for a 'local tour'. You can reach me at angelstouch_99@yahoo.com until leaving on June 28. Joanie