Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Shore excursions we enjoyed

We are planning another trip to Alaska this summer, with the first time being in August of 2004. The shore excursions we enjoyed were:
Ketchican, Neets Bay Black Bear watch. We arrived by floatplane, and were SO close to the bears as they approached the river to feast on the salmon. They were so focused on the salmon, they didn't even look in our direction. If you go at the time this excursion is offered, well worth the $$$.
Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier, the Mendenhall river rafting trip, which isn't extreme, but all aboard the raft had a great time, and the Mendenhall Gardens, which were so beautiful, with great views of the harbor also.
Skagway: We took a helicopter to view a glacier. Wonderful ride in the helicopter over the mountains etc. The train trip which is extremely popular was also great.
Seward: We opted for the optional tour of the Kenai Fjords, which was a highlight of our trip. We were too late in the season to see the Puffins, but saw whales feeding, sea lions, etc. Well worth the time. It also helped that we had beautiful weather for all of these excursions.
Denali: Besides the offical trip into the park offered with our HA tour, we went for the day trip all the way out to Mirror Lake. Yes, it is on a school bus, but we saw so much wildlife, and our bus driver became our personal tour guide for the small group on the bus. She was great, and didn't hesitate to stop at any time to scope out the animals we were sighting. They warned us of mosquitoes, but with the warmer weather we were experiencing, we had no mosquitoes.
Any of these excursuions I would recommend.
This trip we are going with HA again, but taking the cruise with ports of call in Sitka, Homer, Kodiak, Icy Straits and Victoria, besides some repeats. Looking forward to new adventures. Any suggestions for these ports would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Talking Alaska excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkamm View Post
We are planning another trip to Alaska this summer, with the first time being in August of 2004. The shore excursions we enjoyed were:
Ketchican, Neets Bay Black Bear watch. ...
Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier, the Mendenhall river rafting trip, ...
Skagway: We took a helicopter to view a glacier. ...
Seward: We opted for the optional tour of the Kenai Fjords, which was a highlight of our trip. ...
Denali: Besides the offical trip into the park offered with our HA tour, we went for the day trip all the way out to Mirror Lake...
Any of these excursuions I would recommend.
This trip we are going with HA again, but taking the cruise with ports of call in Sitka, Homer, Kodiak, Icy Straits and Victoria, besides some repeats. Looking forward to new adventures. Any suggestions for these ports would be greatly appreciated.
. I have often said that the excursions I like might bore you, and the excursions you like might kill me! Clearly, you are more active people than we are.

Nevertheless, I willl make some DON'T MISS suggestions that you might like. Sitka is the place for sea otters. Don't miss an otter spotting trip. Usually the ship offers the excursion through Allen Marine and they do a wonderful job. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

ISP I highly recommend a bear watching trip with Teckk Tours. Keith will design the tour to your abilities. He offered us the chance to go trekking through the woods with him (and his gun) looking for the bears. WE opted to stay in the van, but maybe you would like a different approach. Check out our trip report and pictures at Cruising HAL Volendam to Alaska

Don't know if Butchart Gardens in Victoria would be your cup of tea or not. We loved them, and afterwards had the wine and chocolate experience. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/paccoast.html

Some Alaska excursions that WE have liked over several cruises -- maybe not to everyone's taste -- are at Alaska Excursions Guide

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:26 AM
First Mate

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us. My wife and I will be heading for Alaska this August, it will be our second cruise there, and we can't wait.