CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   when to take a cruisetour (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/383350-when-take-cruisetour.html)

rhlaw June 26th, 2011 03:20 PM

when to take a cruisetour

We are planning a cruise to Alaska and I'm interested in when you all think we should take our cruisetour. We will be going on Celebrity, should we take it before the cruise or after? We are looking at the end of August in 2012.
Thanx for any imput.

Kamloops Cruiser June 26th, 2011 05:19 PM

From the comments I heard on board from people taking or have taken cruise tours . Most say if done again , they would take the land portion then the cruise. I normally take a 14 day NB/SB because I work country similar to Alaska .

Kuki June 26th, 2011 05:21 PM

The cruise tour portion would be busy and active. The cruise more time to relax while you travel, so it makes the most sense to do the touring first.

MercedMike June 27th, 2011 11:33 AM

Cruisetour

We did the tour after the cruise, because it was a TA fam trip and that is the way HAL arranged it for us. It worked fine.

A consideration is, that a pre cruise tour usually ends up in Anchorage and you board a SB cruise. We happen to like the NB cruise itinerary better in most cases.

Also, if you are doing as we did, a 3 day portion of a cruise followed by the tour, we prefer leaving from Vancouver or Seattle and doing the first three days that way.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Alaska Cruiestour The Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

Lisa1230 June 27th, 2011 03:49 PM

We did our cruise first (7 day northbound from Vancouver) followed by a 5 day cruisetour to Fairbanks. I quite liked it that way because I wanted the feeling that I was sailing to Alaska to go exploring inland.

Lisa

Lakers Fan June 27th, 2011 08:38 PM

We did a 7 day land tour prior to the cruise and it was fantastic .

rhlaw June 29th, 2011 08:15 PM

Thank you for your input. It seems like we wouldn't lose either way. Now to decide!

anniegb June 29th, 2011 08:58 PM

Just make sure on the cruise section, you visit Glacier Bay. If that is not on the itinerary - I would cancel.

Cruisetour section is quite leisurely IMHO.

Annie

Lakers Fan June 29th, 2011 10:18 PM

I did not go on a tour including Glacier Bay but I had a fantastic vacation.

MercedMike June 30th, 2011 12:13 PM

Glaciers and leisure

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1378832)
Just make sure on the cruise section, you visit Glacier Bay. If that is not on the itinerary - I would cancel.

Cruisetour section is quite leisurely IMHO.

Annie

I agree that for first time cruisers, Glacier Bay is the place to go. However there are alternatives. This question is so often asked I made up a page on it:

Alaska Glaciers

Hope this helps.

As for the cruise tour being leisurely -- well that depends on your definition. It consists of hours and hours on the bus or the train, and then get off and do as much as you can in the time available. So is that leisurely?

anniegb June 30th, 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1378940)
I agree that for first time cruisers, Glacier Bay is the place to go. However there are alternatives. This question is so often asked I made up a page on it:

Alaska Glaciers

Hope this helps.

As for the cruise tour being leisurely -- well that depends on your definition. It consists of hours and hours on the bus or the train, and then get off and do as much as you can in the time available. So is that leisurely?

I agree re hours and hours on trains - very boring JMHO - leisurely though.

Annie

MercedMike July 1st, 2011 11:05 AM

Passing the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1378961)
I agree re hours and hours on trains - very boring JMHO - leisurely though.

Annie

Ah, but you spend the time peering into the brush hoping to see wildlife.

Our total sighting from the train ... the South end of a moose going North fast ... ;)

anniegb July 1st, 2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1379128)
Ah, but you spend the time peering into the brush hoping to see wildlife.

Our total sighting from the train ... the South end of a moose going North fast ... ;)

Latterly I watched a film on my Ipod. There was very little birdlife also - it was a nice day but I think I took a total of two photographs.

Compared to the train journey from Lochgilphead to Mallaig it was very boring; I was so disappointed - I love train journeys.

They say the train journey is a highlight - all I can say is they have not completed many train journeys.

My recommendation would be to skip it - a wasted day IMHO.

Annie

Rev22:17 July 1st, 2011 06:48 PM

rhlaw,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1378230)
We are planning a cruise to Alaska and I'm interested in when you all think we should take our cruisetour. We will be going on Celebrity, should we take it before the cruise or after? We are looking at the end of August in 2012.
Thanx for any imput.

The scenery in Alaska seems to grow progressively more spectacular as you move northward. Thus, I think that it's best to do the cruise-tour in the northward direction rather than the southward direction. This places the land tour segment after the cruise segment rather than before.

That said, the land portion of a cruise-tour package tends to be pretty expensive. As an alternative, consider doing the land portion on your own. The main roads in Alaska are well maintained, so it's no problem to rent a car and drive yourself, but you can also book travel on the Alaska Railroad if you prefer. I do recommend reserving your lodging before you go, though -- summer is the peak tourist season and points in Alaska are pretty far apart, so it may be a long way to a hotel with rooms available if you encounter "no vacancy" signs and don't have a reservation where you were planning to stay.

Norm.

anniegb July 1st, 2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1379203)
rhlaw,

The scenery in Alaska seems to grow progressively more spectacular as you move northward. Thus, I think that it's best to do the cruise-tour in the northward direction rather than the southward direction. This places the land tour segment after the cruise segment rather than before.

That said, the land portion of a cruise-tour package tends to be pretty expensive. As an alternative, consider doing the land portion on your own. The main roads in Alaska are well maintained, so it's no problem to rent a car and drive yourself, but you can also book travel on the Alaska Railroad if you prefer. I do recommend reserving your lodging before you go, though -- summer is the peak tourist season and points in Alaska are pretty far apart, so it may be a long way to a hotel with rooms available if you encounter "no vacancy" signs and don't have a reservation where you were planning to stay.

Norm.

If I was to visit Alaska again, I would not cruise and organise a land trip.

How I could incorporate Glacier Bay - I would have to research.

Denali and GB make Alaska worth the trip; the rest - .......... ?????

Annie

MercedMike July 2nd, 2011 12:58 PM

Driving Alaska

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1379203)
rhlaw,

That said, the land portion of a cruise-tour package tends to be pretty expensive. As an alternative, consider doing the land portion on your own. The main roads in Alaska are well maintained, so it's no problem to rent a car and drive yourself, but you can also book travel on the Alaska Railroad if you prefer.

Well, Norm, it is like this ...

We are people who like to cruise because we don't have to worry, don't have to make decisions, just relax and let the staff take care of us.

Now we don't get quite that service on a cruisetour, but it is considerably better than driving ourselves!

And as far as trying to save money -- I penciled it out before our tour, and it just doesn't work unless you are staying in budget rate dumps and eating peanut butter sandwiches. A first class driving tour worked out to be as expensive if not more expensive than a cruise tour.