Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Post-cruise flight Anchorage to Dallas

I've booked a cruise on Holland departing Vancouver and ending in Anchorage on Sunday, August 7, the ship scheduled to dock at 6 AM. I'm guessing that the passengers (my daughter and son-in-law) won't get off the boat and be free to navigate to the airport until nine-ish at the earliest.

Surveying flights back to Dallas, I find one at 0930, which I'm guessing is too early. Is it reasonable for them to make a 10:30 AM flight? I've not made this cruise, so I'm ignorant of things like time/transportation between the port and the airport, and related matters.

After that 10:30 AM flight, it appears that almost every flight requires a connection AND that the first leg does not begin until 8:30 PM that evening or later. No matter what the connecting city, their flight back to Dallas amounts to a red-eye with a connection.

Soooooooooo..... if they're going to spend the day in Anchorage before their flight that evening, is there something to see/do in Anchorage on Sunday in the vicinity of the port? Spending the day at the airport seems pretty anti-climactic.

Any advice in the next 48 hours would be Most Appreciated, as I'm wanting to nail down the airline reservations.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is one of the bits of misinformation that is provided by the cruise lines. I am assuming that the ship you are referring to is the Statendam.

The port is really not Anchorage but it is Seward. Seward is about 130 miles from Anchorage. They can do a one way car rental, take the train or (probably) the best option is to do the cruise line shuttle.

They will need to book their flight for afternoon or evening. I would say that 2:00 p.m. or later.

We've done a one way car rental and once we took three days and went to Denali and once we just spent time seeing the area for a couple of day. The drive from Seward to Anchorage is a beautiful drive.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Which HAL are you taking? They stop in a couple of places......and Start....so, it is a 3 hr drive without a stop on a road that consistently rates as the #1 or #2 scenic road in all of the 50 states...and it is a 2 lane road....One accident on the road will block traffic for hours...Considering you have to be at the airport 1 1/2 -2 hrs early, that is not a great idea. Stay in Anchorage for day or more. There is so much to see....and stay in downtown...so you can walk...grab a cab to the airport...Most of the hotels downtown do not have airport shuttles...Anchorage...the city....is the size of the state of Delaware...really.....There is a free Alaska app if you have a smart phone...and there is lots to do in the downtown area which is really walkable. There is the summer market downtown...free...There is the Seavey Iditaride show...not free but well worth the $39.00 bucks....There is a ghost tour, 20.00 buck, every night and an hour trolley ride that takes you around town, stopping in earthquake park for 15.00...Stop in at the visitor center...on 4th avenue..talk to the people there.....Have fun in Anchorage...on the way up from Seward, stop at the conservation center in Portage..and go see the aquarium in Seward. It is well done....and take a look at the waterfront...Usually there are lots of otters in the water...you can hike to a landlocked glacier also in Seward...Not a long hike...and take a sled dog ride....Lots to do in a very little town...Stop on the way up from Seward for lunch at the Turnigan House...The chef can do things with Alaskan seafood that are wonderful....