Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Captain

Default Differences between a Alaskan cruise and a Caribbean cruise.

I realize that the sights will be different and the tempeture and the weather over all. But I am sure there is alot of difference in the way the cruise ship operates in a colder weather climate then a warm weather one and was wondering if some of the folks could explain a few of the main differences I will see when I cruise to Alaska in 2013.

How the cruise ship operates
What is there to do on deck
swim pool/hot tubs open?

These are a few of the things i am wondering about.

tnx
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Actually, I didn't find too many differences. Observation Lounge is a little more crowded as sightseeing is on both sides of ship and it got a little cold at times to be on weather decks. Pool and hot tubs were open though not very crowded. Hot chocolate was served when everyone on deck for Hubbards Glacier instead of the normal tropical drinks in Caribbean. Also, a large part of the passengers did a cruise tour on the Alaskan end of the cruise; so different packing scheme.

My Alaskan cruise was wonderful and hope to do another someday.

Oh, by the way, that picture was not taken on Alaskan cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I've been on a Sept. cruise, weather cooling down. What I noticed is a more adult atmosphere in general, far more time spent gazing out at the beauty of Alaska, listening to narrations of wildlife as the naturalist on board spotted things to point out to us.
On one board, someone asked if they had to dress warmer for indoor activities because of the outdoor climate. No, the ship inside is climate controlled.
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Admiral

We were on an Alaskan cruise in May 2008 .The temperatures were in the high 70's .
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
We were on an Alaskan cruise in May 2008 .The temperatures were in the high 70's .
Henry43's comment really points out that it can be very difficult to know what to expect. It can be very cold one week and very warm a week or two later. In our case, we sailed in late May and the weather was cool, but fairly dry. A couple weeks later I was reading posts from folks that were reporting temp's in the 90s. We would have been in big trouble if we had had that warm of weather with all our coats and fannel shirts that we packed. You need to keep a constant check on the weather forcasts right up until very near your departure date to make sure that you are properly packed. Or do like my wife does and just take everything that is not bolted to the floor at home.

BYW - - During our trip the pools were closed since the temps were so cool they would not have been used anyway. (I think that the hot tubs were open.) Also, the deck activities were near zero because of the temps and fog & rain when we were at sea. Luckily, the weather was very nice when we were in port.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Captain

Very interesting, thank you all for your comments.

How are the heaters in the Staterooms? If you had a balcony, did you use it much?

What kind of activities did they have onboard during the day if the weather was bad?

thanks again all

Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Admiral

The staterooms have a thermostat and you can keep them as warm or as cool as you like.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Tim,
You have a regular thermostat in your cabin, temps should be just fine. As for the balcony, YES, you will use it a lot, especially in Alaska.

There are still the usual activities onboard during sea days, but normally, on a port day, most cruisers are off the ship doing excursions, so not much going on.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't go to Alaska without a balcony, unless you are content to miss a lot of scenery or spend most of your time on deck itself.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Alaska is just so beautiful!! I've always gone in Sept on the last cruise, but have been thinking of going in May, more snow on the mountians. The bald eagles are great to see, also the glaciers. Go book a cruise there now, you won't be sorry!!

Virginia