Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Question Where is everybody?

The Alaska cruise season is fast approaching!

Where is everybody on this board?

Surely there are questions, comments, or brags about where and when you are going. Who is booked for Alaska this summer?

It looks as if it will be next year before we get to take our eighth cruise to Alaska.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Maybe there is little interest in Alaska on this board or they are asking their questions on another board?

Annie
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Captain

I'm going to Alaska this year for the first time(totally excited!)
Celebrity Infinity -May 11-25

Totally interested in tips/places to visit/excursions that are must see. Whale/bear/bald eagle sightings are the top of my list atm.
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Captain

I would highly recommend a whale watch excursion in Juneau. And take a trip to see the Mendenhall Glacier too.
If you go to Skagway, we really enjoyed the White Pass rail trip. Beautiful scenery.
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Talking Alaska excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
I'm going to Alaska this year for the first time(totally excited!)
Celebrity Infinity -May 11-25

Totally interested in tips/places to visit/excursions that are must see. Whale/bear/bald eagle sightings are the top of my list atm.
Bear in mind that sightings from the ship are fairly rare. We have several times seen whales from the ship but it was very lucky, and they were usually far off. The best way to guarantee whale sightings is to take a whale watching excursion, probably in Juneau. Even then, seeing the exciting breaches is fairly rare. More often you get a spout and a rolling back. Often you will see sea lions, dolphins and other sea life.

We like to ride the Ketchikan ducks and they usually find a tree with bald eagles nesting someplace around the bay.

Bear sightings are much rarer. Icy Strait Point is known for bears, but the other ports may or may not have much chance.

The railroad in Skagway is fun, but we like to rent a car and drive over the pass into the Yukon ourselves. You can go to Caribou Crossing, a tourist trap, but lots of fun.

There are so many great excursions in Alaska. Check out our experiences and pictures at Alaska Excursions Guide.

Old March 21st, 2012, 02:28 PM
Captain

We did the Duck in Ketchikan too and it was really fun. Goofy but fun and our 9 yr old really enjoyed it.
We've "done" Alaska 3 times, all in August and saw whales from the ship a lot. But as Mike said, they were far off. Much better to go to Auk Bay in Juneau.
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
I would highly recommend a whale watch excursion in Juneau. And take a trip to see the Mendenhall Glacier too.
If you go to Skagway, we really enjoyed the White Pass rail trip. Beautiful scenery.
I did the above excursions and I highly recomend them as well.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

MM or Peter may know the answer to this one. I've noticed a few hundred difference in price on Princess going from Whittier to Vancouver over going northbound? It seem to be higher going South, is there a reason for that?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Captain

Sorry, I don't know
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Exclamation The Reason -- the only reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
MM or Peter may know the answer to this one. I've noticed a few hundred difference in price on Princess going from Whittier to Vancouver over going northbound? It seem to be higher going South, is there a reason for that?
There is one and only one reason for differences in cruise fares -- supply and demand!

For some reason the southbound trips seem to be more popular than the northbound trips. In fact, oft given advice on message boards may possibly have some effect on that. I don't know why but a lot of people (including one very outspoken self proclaimed "expert" on "that other board") recommend southbound.

The Travel Agency DW works for actually received some literature from one of the cruise companies (I disremember which) offering tips on how to sell the northbound cruises.

'Tiz a puzzlement to me, but there it is.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Admiral

My main concern is the day the cruise ends, easier to fly out of Vancouver over Whittier...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Captain

I think I'd prefer southbound. Do the hectic traveling on trains and busses first, then get on the ship to unwind. And as Donna mentioned, I'd prefer the shorter plane flight after the cruise as well.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Flying home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
My main concern is the day the cruise ends, easier to fly out of Vancouver over Whittier...
Indeed. And you also have to consider the cost of the transfer to Anchorage. Either by bus or by train, it adds a considerable amount to the price of the cruise. Offsets some of the price difference.

We took the train in. It leaves early in the morning, and goes past some beautiful scenery.

Along the way we were very lucky to see belugas in Turnagain Arm. So it is a fun thing to do, but a bit expensive.

You can see my movie of the belugas at
Cruising HAL Volendam to Alaska

Old March 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Familiar Face

Cruising to Alaska on the Infinity May 25-June 1. Can't wait .... first time cruiser. I have already booked the White Mountain Pass but that's all. I have also reserved the US speciality restaurant on the 27th for our 35th wedding anniversary. Is there anyone else on these boards going to be cruising then?
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm here :-) Looking forward to our first ever cruise. We are a family of 4 (Husband 56, wife 49, son 17, and possible addition of 23 yr old daughter) We are traveling the Coral Princess in late June from Vancouver to Whittier. Figured going n-bound we would continually see more and more beautiful sites. The down side - overnight flight back home!
Several people suggest whale watching in Juneau - anyone suggest an outfitter/service?
We are staying an extra day in Anchorage before returning home - any suggestions to see/visit there?
Our family likes to hike, spend time outdoors (have done Montana-Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Appalachia, etc). Thanks for any suggestions!!
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Admiral

It is very easy to book whale watching with Capt. Larry, Orca enterprises in Juneau. He is a short walk in town to their office where they will then bus you to their pier/harbour....You can find their web-site and pre book.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Captain

We were very happy with Captain Larry as well and the Awesome Orca.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Talking Whale watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAgain2222 View Post
Several people suggest whale watching in Juneau - anyone suggest an outfitter/service?
Captain Larry and Orca Enterprises are very popular. Many people like the smaller boats.

Personally, we prefer to book through the ship on Allen Marine. Their boats are large, luxurious, fully equipped and especially designed for whale watching, even having "stealth mode" engines. It becomes a matter of personal taste.

The Allen Marine boats have huge picture windows, an open top deck, an onboard naturalist, and facilities such as flush toilets and a nice snack bar.

The best pictures we have of the Allen Marine boats are on our Sitka page, but the ones operating out of Juneau are substantially similar.

http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

Have a GREAT cruise!