CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Why AREN'T you going to Alaska? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/389585-why-arent-you-going-alaska.html)

MercedMike May 25th, 2012 12:54 PM

Why AREN'T you going to Alaska?

This thread is soooo dead.

Where is everybody?

I guess the question is, why AREN'T you going to Alaska this summer?

Prices are good, availability is great. Time to take advantage of it!

We are always ready to go to Alaska. Check the link in my signature below for pics and reviews of our eight cruises to Alaska.

But we aren't going this summer -- mostly because one of our favorite Alaska cruise companions had surgery and isn't up to it. So we are planning to go with her in 2013. This September we have a European cruise booked. But NEXT YEAR -- AHHH -- GLACIER BAY!

http://www.bully4.us/zakk.jpg

So -- what's YOUR excuse?

buttons16 May 25th, 2012 04:25 PM

2 reasons....
#1..been to Alaska on a cruise...loved it, will do it again after I sell my business (If I do)

#2.. Some of the shore line in Alaska is littered with huge amounts of trash from the tsunami that hit Japan...trash is littering the coast of Alaska all the way down to California.

Trackypup May 25th, 2012 04:41 PM

Been there Twice
Don't particularly like cold weather vacations
Going to the Med instead as I enjoy Amalfi, Santorini, Capri, Paris and the South of France more

Kamloops Cruiser May 25th, 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1429843)
2 reasons....
#1..been to Alaska on a cruise...loved it, will do it again after I sell my business (If I do)

#2.. Some of the shore line in Alaska is littered with huge amounts of trash from the tsunami that hit Japan...trash is littering the coast of Alaska all the way down to California.

Most of the trash is showing up further south in Washington than Alaska.

Haven't seen any reports of trash littering the Alaska or BC coast yet .

The odd piece like the fishing trawler and motorcycle in a container but

not a lot anything else .

ruthlessboss May 25th, 2012 06:21 PM

Been there once and loved it. I dislike getting to an airport and flying there, getting to and from a hotel, then the ship, and then doing it all in reverse. Somehow it takes the spark out of it all.

Trip May 25th, 2012 07:53 PM

Here's a link to the trash in Alaska:(Alaskan crews gear up to tackle Japan tsunami debris | Reuters

I have never had the desire to see Alaska. While I can appreciate all I see on tv, about the beauty of it, but it's not a vacation for me.

Donna May 25th, 2012 09:06 PM

I actually would cruise Alaska anyday, hopefully in 2013...It is either that or a long awaited trip to WDW...tough choice...

Lakers Fan May 25th, 2012 09:14 PM

I'm not going because I've already been there and there is so much of the world left to see .

When I was planning my cruise I went to my local babk to buy Travelers Checks .The bank teller asked where I was vacationing and I replied Alaska .Her response was that someday she wanted to visit that country .

In hindsight I should have asked if she was related to Michelle Bachman.

buttons16 May 25th, 2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1429869)
I'm not going because I've already been there and there is so much of the world left to see .

When I was planning my cruise I went to my local babk to buy Travelers Checks .The bank teller asked where I was vacationing and I replied Alaska .Her response was that someday she wanted to visit that country .

In hindsight I should have asked if she was related to Michelle Bachman.

WOW...The country of Alaska...It is scary to think that people are that clueless. You should have asked her to also see the country of Hawaii.:confused:

Manuel May 25th, 2012 10:06 PM

I have been to Alaska and would like to do it again someday.
This year I have my hands full with a house in Florida and a condo in Connecticut.

TM

Lakers Fan May 25th, 2012 10:07 PM

One more

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1429878)
WOW...The country of Alaska...It is scary to think that people are that clueless. You should have asked her to also see the country of Hawaii.:confused:

In the early 70's I worked with a woman who believed that Mexico (not New Mexico) was a state in the US . In the 1980's this woman was the CEO of a very prominent organization .

ruthlessboss May 26th, 2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1429878)

I too had that experience in the 70's. Needed to get back to Maine (from Arizona) and was asked what country Maine was in.

Lakers Fan May 26th, 2012 10:24 AM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1429900)
I too had that experience in the 70's. Needed to get back to Maine (from Arizona) and was asked what country Maine was in.

What was your reply ?:roll:

Dhill May 26th, 2012 10:39 AM

No Alaska for us! We Live on the coast in the Pacific Nortwest so when we go on vaction it is to the sun and the warm places. No trash from Japan washing up on our beaches yet.But I am waiting a little treasure hunting sounds good.:wink:

MercedMike May 26th, 2012 12:27 PM

Alaska or bust

I don't like those long plane flights either.

And I definitely don't like snow and cold weather.

Ah, but Alaska on a cruise ship -- that is different!

The flight is sure a lot shorter than the Med, Africa or Australia. In fact for us left coasters, it is shorter than to Florida!

And the cold weather -- for a couple of hours in Glacier Bay, and a few hours in port -- but otherwise a lovely climate inside the ship and all the comforts!

We will make our ninth cruise to Alaska next summer. I am looking forward to it!

http://www.bully4.us/voglac5.jpg

buttons16 May 26th, 2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1429881)
In the early 70's I worked with a woman who believed that Mexico (not New Mexico) was a state in the US . In the 1980's this woman was the CEO of a very prominent organization .

But I bet she has no common sense. A CEO probaly says the dumbest things at work and all the other employess either nod or laugh with her because she is the CEO or risk being fired. I deal all the time with big business people who could'nt name all the planets in our solar system...could'nt name 10 presidents of the USA but you play along to get their business. One wrong move and they take their business else where.

buttons16 May 26th, 2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1429900)

The popluar 70's...must have been all the flower power people.

Lakers Fan May 26th, 2012 05:44 PM

Not a business CEO

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1429951)
But I bet she has no common sense. A CEO probaly says the dumbest things at work and all the other employess either nod or laugh with her because she is the CEO or risk being fired. I deal all the time with big business people who could'nt name all the planets in our solar system...could'nt name 10 presidents of the USA but you play along to get their business. One wrong move and they take their business else where.

This person was the CEO of the IRC .

Lakers Fan May 26th, 2012 05:46 PM

Flower power

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1429952)
The popluar 70's...must have been all the flower power people.

Flower power people would have made great leaders .

KDGodwin May 27th, 2012 02:41 AM

Well I sure am heading to Alaska!! Only 104 days to go! I guess I asked all my questions back in July when I booked, so haven't posted much on this thread. I keep checking back for new posts, but not much new since then.

I started a Roll Call a while back for our sail date, but no one here seems to be headed to Alaska with me. Hopefully everyone is just too busy planning to post... ;)

buttons16 May 27th, 2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDGodwin (Post 1430013)
Well I sure am heading to Alaska!! Only 104 days to go! I guess I asked all my questions back in July when I booked, so haven't posted much on this thread. I keep checking back for new posts, but not much new since then.

I started a Roll Call a while back for our sail date, but no one here seems to be headed to Alaska with me. Hopefully everyone is just too busy planning to post... ;)

Alaska is a beautiful cruise...If you can try taking a helicopter tour...it was the best excursion I have ever been on.

MercedMike May 28th, 2012 01:04 PM

Helicopters

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1430080)
Alaska is a beautiful cruise...If you can try taking a helicopter tour...it was the best excursion I have ever been on.

My DW tried three times to get the helicopter to the glacier for dog sledding! It is frequently cancelled for weather.

Maybe that was why we had to keep going back ...

The first time she traded it for a regular helicopter flight, which she indeed found wonderful.

Finally the third cruise, she got to the dog camp atop the glacier.

http://www.bully4.us/ct08.jpg

There are so many great excursions in Alaska, but many of them are quite pricey. Be sure to budget for them.

buttons16 May 28th, 2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1430169)
My DW tried three times to get the helicopter to the glacier for dog sledding! It is frequently cancelled for weather.

Maybe that was why we had to keep going back ...

The first time she traded it for a regular helicopter flight, which she indeed found wonderful.

Finally the third cruise, she got to the dog camp atop the glacier.

http://www.bully4.us/ct08.jpg

There are so many great excursions in Alaska, but many of them are quite pricey. Be sure to budget for them.

most excursions in Alaska is expensvie, and most are wonderful.

buttons16 May 28th, 2012 02:58 PM

If anyone has decided not to cruise into Alaska because they dont like cold weather, well you people don't know what you are missing.

Trackypup May 28th, 2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1430198)
If anyone has decided not to cruise into Alaska because they dont like cold weather, well you people don't know what you are missing.

I believe I said I don't like cold weather vacations, but seeing as I've been to Alaska twice that would prove your theory wrong. I know exactly what I'm missing.

Maybe it's that I live in Beautiful BC and am surrounded by Glaciers and Mountains that I don't need to do that on vacation. I'm a 90 minute drive from Whistler, I can take helicopters, dog sledding, see bears and their cubs along the side of the road.

buttons16 May 28th, 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1430226)
I believe I said I don't like cold weather vacations, but seeing as I've been to Alaska twice that would prove your theory wrong. I know exactly what I'm missing.

Maybe it's that I live in Beautiful BC and am surrounded by Glaciers and Mountains that I don't need to do that on vacation. I'm a 90 minute drive from Whistler, I can take helicopters, dog sledding, see bears and their cubs along the side of the road.

Your statement is like a Irish man living in Ireland saying "Why are you coming here to Ireland, nothing special about it"...Totally irrevelant and ridiculous.
And trackypup why would you think this is directed to you in the first play ? Just because their are people who dont like cold weather does'nt mean they should not go...except you of course....BTW why would you travel to the Carribean ? Im sure their are many people who live their would say "I live right here why would I travel to an Island"
P.S. I too have bear, Bob cat, Wild Turkey, Eagle's, Bunnies, Groundhogs, Deer, passing by my property...I just have to look out my window. My house is built on 2 1/2 acres in the woods on top of a mountain...Ya think I see nature at its best?

buttons16 May 28th, 2012 06:11 PM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...23_n.jpg....in the woods...So you see I have many wild animals walking by my house

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7123447_n.jpg this baby doe was born on my property, about 50 feet from my home...I fed the mom (Her name is Dolly) for about 2 months after giving birth...YES she eats out of my hand.

Trackypup May 28th, 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1430231)
Your statement is like a Irish man living in Ireland saying "Why are you coming here to Ireland, nothing special about it"...Totally irrevelant and ridiculous.
And trackypup why would you think this is directed to you in the first play ?

There's one person on this thread that said they don't like cold weather vacations and that was me.... so you start saying people that don't like cold weather vacations don't know what they're missing and that's not supposed to be aimed at me? Oh, ok! :rolleyes:

And my comment is nothing like what you described. I said living in beautiful BC I have mountains, glaciers and the wild life. It's like asking why someone that lives in Hawaii doesn't vacation in the Caribbean. :roll:

buttons16 May 28th, 2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1430233)
There's one person on this thread that said they don't like cold weather vacations and that was me.... so you start saying people that don't like cold weather vacations don't know what they're missing and that's not supposed to be aimed at me? Oh, ok! :rolleyes:

And my comment is nothing like what you described. I said living in beautiful BC I have mountains, glaciers and the wild life. It's like asking why someone that lives in Hawaii doesn't vacation in the Caribbean. :roll:

Did you really feel like you were attacked...WOW....You should be able to chill up there in the NorthWest.

Trackypup May 28th, 2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1430239)
Did you really feel like you were attacked...WOW....You should be able to chill up there in the NorthWest.

I never said attacked..and you may need a geography lesson, Vancouver is in the Southwest.