Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default Hubbard v. Glacier Bay

I am looking into a cruise to Alaska next year. I read the information correctly (a big if), one cruise line always goes to Hubbard on the voyages I am considering and another always goes to Glacier Bay.

I have never been to either. Glacier Bay is famous, but I know little to nothing about Hubbard. The line that goes there calls it the most active glacier calving location available. That's a pretty good sell, but I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Though I believe many will say Glacier Bay is their first choice. Both offer spectacular scenery, and I can't imagine a first time visitor be disappointed in either.

I might recommend making on your choice considering the rest of the itineraries being offered.
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Captain

I think the Hubbard glacier is actually more spectacular than any of the glaciers you'd see in Glacier Bay. That's all relative of course, the Margerie Glacier in GB is awesome. We feel the scenery for Glacier bay as a whole is better and the sailing was smoother. Our next trip we'll go to Glacier Bay again.
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Hubbard vs. Glacier Bay

Hubbard Glacier is spectacular. It is a very long frontage, and is indeed known for calving activity. Check out our Hubbard glacier pictures at
Cruising HAL Volendam to Alaska
The day we were there we got very close to the glacier. However there are many reports of ships being unable to get very close.

That said, consider that Glacier Bay is a World Heritage site and a National Monument. There is a reason for that. It is much more than the two Glaciers at the end. The long cruise through the bay is wonderful, and the ships will bring Park Rangers on to give you a complete commentary. The contrast between the two different types of glaciers at the end is amazing. And indeed Margerie Glacier is stunningly beautiful. That is why I, and many others, always recommend Glacier Bay for a first cruise to Alaska.

Check out our Glacier Bay trip reports at
Sun Princess Review
Cruising to Alaska on HAL Zuiderdam
http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

Glacier Bay entrance is strictly controlled by permits issued by the National Park Service. That is why many cruise lines go to Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay. It is, frankly, second choice.

Hope this helps.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Familiar Face

I had the same quandry and then hit the motherlode-NCL sun northbound next year goes to both -saw that-booked and next August we sail
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are very similar. The big difference is that Glacier bay is usually and all-day visit as Hubbard is less then 4 hrs. With Hubbard you get to spend an hour near the face depending on how many ship there . Depending on the season Hubbard Glacier doesn't open early enough to let ships approach the face due to ice berg bits or ice floes.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
Familiar Face

Princess Cruises have a Voyage of the Glaciers Grand Adventure for 14 days from Vancouver,BC in June, July and August. You can also book a 7 day cruise from Vancover,BC to Anchorage or from Anchorage to Vancover,BC. The round trip covers both Glaciers. We are going at the end of July and as our second cruise to Alaska, looking forward to it. The scenery is really Fantastic!! Enjoy your cruise , which ever one you take.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi BB,
My next Alaska cruise will be a one way. Sailed from Vancouver once and Seattle once. Going out of Vancouver was way better, a truly inside passage, I could not understand the cruise out of Seattle as inside at all, totally different....Have a great time, looking forward to hearing about your next Alaska cruise.

Message Boards Moderator