CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Skagway hike to galcier (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/392022-skagway-hike-galcier.html)

katluc September 22nd, 2012 04:57 PM

Skagway hike to galcier

Has anyone done the 5 mile hike to the glacier in Skagway? If you train and can easily do the miles, is it a lot harder with thinner air? Also we will be going in Sept next year.

Thanks,
Kathy

Donna September 22nd, 2012 05:14 PM

Sounds interesting, but is it 5 miles to the glacier and then 5 miles back or a total of 5 miles?? You just never know what kind of weather you will have in Alaska, I think I would have an alternative plan in case of bad weather?

storybookcruises.com September 22nd, 2012 05:23 PM

I'm assuming you're doing a cruise. If so, it's much easier to get to Mendenhall Glacier when in Juneau. There's a bus that runs on a regular basis - cost is $16 per person roundtrip to the visitor center and takes about 15 minutes to get there from town. Walking to the glacier is not strenuous and affords a wonderful opportunity to see a glacier up close and personal.

You can get more information here; Tongass Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center

Pete

PeterC September 22nd, 2012 08:40 PM

Skagway's at sea level so no thin air there. Not sure the elevation of the glacier you're looking at hiking too.

Phil&Liz September 23rd, 2012 04:01 PM

You might like the helicopter tour that lands on the glaciers. You get a great view of the whole area then land and walk on the glacier.

It is abit expensive but a really great experience.

katluc September 24th, 2012 12:58 PM

Here is the excursion I was asking about. I love to hike, but since I live in Texas was wondering about the air:

A wilderness trek to the magnificent Laughton Glacier combined with a scenic train ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway make this adventure one not to soon forget.
On this adventurous excursion you will:
  • Board the train for a 50-minute, 14.1 mile journey filled with spectacular waterfalls, rushing rivers and jagged mountain peaks.
  • At Glacier Station, you will begin a fully guided five to eight-mile roundtrip hike in the clean mountain air. The magnificent sub-alpine rain forest valley is home to moose, bear, and mountain goats.
  • This spectacular trail winds along the raging Skagway River to the majestic Laughton Glacier. The terrain changes dramatically as you leave the forest, hike up the riverbed and climb over a boulder field onto the glacier.
  • Enjoy the breathtaking 360 degree panoramic views, exposed crevasses and moulons of the great frozen river of ice.
  • Upon your return to the trailhead, you will be greeted with a traditional “Bush Buffet”, complete with a cold brew and juice.
  • Relax and enjoy the ride back to town on “The Scenic Railway of the World”.

Donna September 24th, 2012 01:45 PM

Hi Kat,
Weather permitting, that does sound breathtaking, if you can handle the hike, which I think you can...I would do it too...