CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Juneau - Is Mendenhall Glacier a MUST if we've already walked on one at McKinley? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/392200-juneau-mendenhall-glacier-must-if-weve-already-walked-one-mckinley.html)

smiling_sara October 2nd, 2012 09:06 AM

Juneau - Is Mendenhall Glacier a MUST if we've already walked on one at McKinley?

Hello, we're going on a 7-day Princess Cruise next June/July from Anchorage to Vancouver.

We're planning to get to Anchorage 2 days early and spend some time in the mountains (Denali State Park & Talkeetna) including hiking & taking a helicopter ride to walk on a glacier on Mt. McKinley.

Then the first 2 days of the cruise are "scenic cruising" through glaciers including Glacier National Park.

I have been told that the Whale Watching AND Mendenhall Glacier are the TWO must-see's in Juneau. But is this still true, if we've already walked on one, and seen them from the cruise ship?

We will DEFINITELY do a whale watch cruise. But we're thinking about skipping the stop at Mendenhall, in favor of more time for: brewery/tram/walk around town on our own. We're only at that port for about 9hrs (compared to 13 in Skagway).

Thanks!

Snoozeman October 2nd, 2012 12:32 PM

Good Question!

If you done the other then you could skip Mendenhall.

Mendenhall is good for those on the inside passage loop cruises that won't get up to glacier country.

Mike M October 2nd, 2012 01:13 PM

Truthfully: If you're already doing a walk on a glacier you really don't need to do Mendenhall. Go whale watching.

Take care,
Mike

cruise planner October 2nd, 2012 01:28 PM

I agree with the others, if you've walked on one, walking on another is the same thing. The only difference is the scenery.

But I would skip the brewery/tram/walking tour. Do it yourself. The Mt. Roberts tram, in my opinion, is definitely not worth the time or money. If you want to ride up and hike down, that's one thing, but overall it's just not worth the price. And you can do the brewery & walking tour on your own - just get a good guide book with a map and you're good to go. Juneau is not that big.

Pete

smiling_sara October 2nd, 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1448983)
But I would skip the brewery/tram/walking tour. Do it yourself. The Mt. Roberts tram, in my opinion, is definitely not worth the time or money. If you want to ride up and hike down, that's one thing, but overall it's just not worth the price. And you can do the brewery & walking tour on your own - just get a good guide book with a map and you're good to go. Juneau is not that big.

Pete

Yes, I just meant that we'd do some combination of brewery, tram, & walking on our own! No tour for that!

We want to get a feel for the town, so maybe ground is better than tram like you say. And the Brewery, being 5 miles out (by bus, shuttle, or taxi), is basically going to be INSTEAD of Mendenhall then! Yay!

THANKS EVERYONE for the thoughful responses!

cruise planner October 2nd, 2012 04:12 PM

One place you absolutely have to go to when in Juneau is the Red Dog Saloon! Can't miss it as it's only about 2 blocks from the pier on the main street. I love places like this! Even if you don't drink, you have to see the inside.

And speaking of saloons, if you're going to Skagway, another favorite one I like to visit is the Red Onion Saloon. As they advertise, "Since 1898 Skagway's most exclusive brothel!"

Pete

Snoozeman October 2nd, 2012 04:41 PM

Just spent 5 hours at the Red Dog one day last month...great fun with friends... but if you want to go to the 'real deal' visit the old Alaska Hotel Saloon.