CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Help with excursions needed (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/398275-help-excursions-needed.html)

JBD August 5th, 2013 02:28 PM

Help with excursions needed

My husband and 2 daughters age 4 and 6 are taking the Disney cruise in Alaska AUG 19-26. Im overwhelmed with all the choices of excursions! From Juneau we are wanting to do mendenhal glacier dog sledding and the Taku lodge 5 glacier float plane trip. Is that too much for one day? Is it even possible to do both?
For Skagway we are doing the train,not sure about ketchican?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Julie

Donna August 5th, 2013 08:33 PM

Hi JBD,
If the time slots fit those excursions, sounds like a fun fill day....I think you all will enjoy White Pass Railroad trip, some great scenery and the kids will learn a lot about the area. It is rather long and you do take the same route back down, but surely worth the time. Do you have a Juneau stop? That would be the place to do some whale watching. You can book through the ship, or go on your own, I'd suggest Capt. Larry, he's very educated on whales and knows just where to take you...Their office is right in town, short walk...

cruise planner August 6th, 2013 02:04 PM

Alaska is one place I highly suggest booking the excursions on your own. Go through a reputable shore excursion company and often you'll not only save money and time, but it won't be anywhere near as crowded. We did several excursions and we were the only two on them!

You can actually do Mendenhall Glacier without an excursion. There's a bus that goes from downtown right to the visitor's center. The Glacier Express Blue Bus is $16 per person roundtrip.

As for doing everything you want to do, it really depends on the times. You'll want to give yourself some time in between just in case and allow enough time to make sure you're back on the ship in time.

One thing about Alaska, lots to see and do, and it's tough to do it all, which is why it's always good to do a cruise tour if you have the time and can afford it. Definitely an amazing place that everyone has to visit at least once in their life!

Pete

PeterC August 7th, 2013 11:03 AM

For Ketchikan I would suggest the Duck tour. Your daughters will love it, especially if you get them the duck call devices they'll sell you. It's fun for adults too. They do a tour of the town and then drive into the water for a short while. It's a lot of fun. I've never been but a lot of people seem to like the Lumberjack show as well.
You seem to have Juneau and Skagway more than covered for excursions.

cruise planner August 7th, 2013 03:36 PM

Alot of people do like that lumberjack show in Ketchikan - definitely one of those things you can do on your own - fairly short walk from the pier.

Pete

Samtayloru September 2nd, 2013 01:08 AM

Alaska.. wohoo..!! Even a small trip will work for me to Alaska. this is a place definitely to visit once in a life time. The suggestions here are really well written. I like them all. Would like to soon plan a trip with my family to Alaska and wish to have a long tour. Thanks for the information. :)

Travelbuggs October 1st, 2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samtayloru (Post 1483730)
Alaska.. wohoo..!! Even a small trip will work for me to Alaska. this is a place definitely to visit once in a life time. The suggestions here are really well written. I like them all. Would like to soon plan a trip with my family to Alaska and wish to have a long tour. Thanks for the information. :)

Just wanted to give another vote for the 5 Glacier Taku Lodge float plane tour in Juneau. Check out their website for lots of info. We did this in May, booked directly with NCL, but it can be booked directly if not offered on your ship. It was the highlight of our entire trip. A little expensive , but well worth the money. be sure to book the dinner one. The meal was absolutely the best we had anywhere. Fresh salmon right from the river, but I had the chicken and we still talk lovingly about that meal.:p. Views from the lodge and plane were spectacular!

ThomasOrtiz November 6th, 2013 02:48 PM

We tried to double up on excursions on our cruises before, but always end up feeling rushed. We dropped that idea for the future. Now, we just plan one excursion and then use the rest of the time to explore on our own. It is more relaxing and ends up being a lot more fun.

When we rushed to fit in two excursions, we felt stressed at the end of the day. With a single excursion, we go back onboard in the evening, enjoy supper, and have a great time. Since you have two children with you, I recommend slowing down. Some people say this is a once in a lifetime experience, but that is only true if you choose it is.

ollyval February 16th, 2014 07:54 AM

I'm doing alaska this Juny
Thanks for all the info

m&m&m&m March 11th, 2014 07:48 PM

I Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have the almost identical question. We will be on NCL in September and also going to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

Both boys LOVE trains, but we are squeaking in on our budget even to just to get to go on the cruise. Which train is best for the price as I noticed there are few options for train rides.

I think we will be doing the Duck tour, that sounds like a lot of fun for the boys (5 and 2.5) and we definitely want to do some hiking to just explore nature (really want to see the Mendenhall)

What else am I missing?

cruise planner March 11th, 2014 08:49 PM

You can book the train ride in Skagway on your own directly through their website. Awesome ride with some wonderful scenery. We did the ride from Skagway to Bennett and on to Carcross, but you can do a roundtrip up to the Canadian border, or you can do a one-way by train and return by van. Check it out; Alaska's most popular Shore Excursion: White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad

For shore excursions, I'm not a big fan of those offered by the cruise line - too crowded, too regimented, and usually not enough time. I much prefer independent companies like Shore Trips.

Pete