Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Default Cruises from Seattle ending in Vancouver

I'm researching cruises to Alaska for September of this year. I am seeing cruises that embark in Seattle but disembark in Vancouver. How does this work with getting you back to Seattle for a flight back home? We've always cruised were we came back to where we started so this is a new option for us. Is it complicated, is it expensive? Thanks for any help with this.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

YOu can do a search for flights that do just that, not sure of the extra cost, but it would be easier and a time saver to just fly out of Vancouver at the end of the cruise. The airport is about half hour away from the port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Thanks, I'll check into that also.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
Admiral

U.S. Immigration and Customs also has an arrangement where they have a checkpoint at Vancouver's airport so you legally 're-enter' the United States there and don't have to do so when your plane lands in the U.S.

Look here for details.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I didn't even think about customs. Is it easier at one or the other port?

Need some cruise help?
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Doing Customs at Vancouver is easier. If you want to fly out of Seattle when you go home, you'll have to do the Customs at the international boundary and not at SEATAC. Keep in mind that returning from an Alaska cruise, where the only places you went are Alaska and Canada, is not a big deal with Customs. They typically just glance at passports and take the declarations and barely say anything to you.
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I know I am making this more complicated than it really is but I want to make sure I understand. Our cruise comes back into Vancouver on a Saturday but we are not flying out until Sunday. When we go to the airport for check in they do the customs/declaration documentation there, correct? The flights I'm finding then go to Toronto with a layover then to Atlanta (ugh) with a layover and then to our home airport. We only have to do the customs thing in Vancouver when we check in for our flight? How long does it usually take to get through customs?

Do most of the hotels in Vancouver offer a shuttle to the airport or will we need to catch a cab?

Thanks so much for your help. I love cruisemates!

BTW, my travel agent recommended Cruise Critics and I said no, I don't think so. I have a great site already.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw View Post
I know I am making this more complicated than it really is but I want to make sure I understand. Our cruise comes back into Vancouver on a Saturday but we are not flying out until Sunday. When we go to the airport for check in they do the customs/declaration documentation there, correct? The flights I'm finding then go to Toronto with a layover then to Atlanta (ugh) with a layover and then to our home airport. We only have to do the customs thing in Vancouver when we check in for our flight? How long does it usually take to get through customs?

Do most of the hotels in Vancouver offer a shuttle to the airport or will we need to catch a cab?

Thanks so much for your help. I love cruisemates!

BTW, my travel agent recommended Cruise Critics and I said no, I don't think so. I have a great site already.

If you're flying Vancouver to Toronto to the US you'll hit US Customs and immigration in Toronto not Vancouver. Make sure there is a lot of time on your Toronto layover for this.

Most downtown hotels do not have shuttles to the airport, you'll need to take a cab (approx $35) or take the Skytrain if you're close to a downtown station for a couple of $$

I can understand your TA recommending CC. Not bashing CM, but the posting traffic is far higher on CC and you'll get answers a lot quicker.
Old June 18th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Admiral

And two months later this is what I did. I booked the cruise leaving from Seattle and returning to Vancouver. That way I get to see two cities that I may never get to explore again. Air fares were reasonable (at least when I booked, they have since sky rocketed) hotels are reasonable in Vancouver and it sounds like a wonderful place to visit for a few day.

Need some cruise help?